30th-Mar-20, 03:01 PM
Totally missed this topic here on Slotracer online, but made some extensive post on..well you know
First of all thanks Andy for composing a thorough post with good pictures and text, much appreciated.
If you have good contact with the guys at Sideways, please convey the following... a copy of what I've already posted on SF
"Based on their accurate Gr-5's and the wonderful Lambo, I was really looking forward to this car when they announced it.
Was expecting a light and well proportioned M6, no need to spend hours with the Dremel, no need to buy an aftermarket chassis.
But as the Sideways M6 GT3 is now...with the roof chop and the increased width....said proportions are really stretched to the limit of what I would call acceptable
Its a shame though, Sideways has a very good reputation where it comes to "True Scale" models. And besides the roof chop the M6 really looks good and accurate.
I don't know, maybe someone at Sideways got cold feet, worries that the M6 might be too tall to be competitive in the GT3 field, or maybe too over ambitious, trying to out perform their own Huracan.
Whatever the reason, from a competition point of view the ≠ 2,5 mm roof chop is overkill, totally unnecessary. The amount of material that's lowered to improve the Centre of Gravity minimal.
(as the main mass of the car body remains unchanged)
On a slot car a higher CG is not always a disadvantage, as we found out while testing our Scalex Ford GT LM. "Ultra Leggere"
After all the efforts I made to get the bodyweight down so we could place ballast down low...we noticed that it actually ran faster with ballast mounted high in the body.
I.m.o a missed opportunity, as Sideways has the tools and parts to make good competitive slot cars with respect of the overall proportions.
The M6 is a big and tall car, but it also has a long wheel and guide base. So it will never be as nimble on turn in as a Mclaren or a Huracan...
...but coming out of a corner...you would be able to floor it earlier.
Ask me how I know
"
I also posted that there is a precedent where a major manufacturer responded to critique about a model...NSR's Ford GT40 MKII.
@ Slotloco:
Gr5 was top of the line in the 70's, that's half a century ago. As such so are the car models and their scaled down Slotcar bodies.
Most of the Gr5 cars were basically touring cars with monstrously flared wheel arches, "silhouette" Tech rules implied that roofline and windows must maintain original from.
As such most of Gr5 cars are higher than current GT3 cars.
On the Slotrace Technical side both the Huracan and the M6 have "slotted" chassis. The intention of these is to create a form of adjustable flex in the chassis.
Although stock chassis "just" have open slots...its a plug & play set up to mount some form of spring or retainer nuts to stiffen or loosen the flex of the chassis to reduce or increase grip.
With kind regards
Tamar
First of all thanks Andy for composing a thorough post with good pictures and text, much appreciated.
If you have good contact with the guys at Sideways, please convey the following... a copy of what I've already posted on SF
"Based on their accurate Gr-5's and the wonderful Lambo, I was really looking forward to this car when they announced it.
Was expecting a light and well proportioned M6, no need to spend hours with the Dremel, no need to buy an aftermarket chassis.
But as the Sideways M6 GT3 is now...with the roof chop and the increased width....said proportions are really stretched to the limit of what I would call acceptable
Its a shame though, Sideways has a very good reputation where it comes to "True Scale" models. And besides the roof chop the M6 really looks good and accurate.
I don't know, maybe someone at Sideways got cold feet, worries that the M6 might be too tall to be competitive in the GT3 field, or maybe too over ambitious, trying to out perform their own Huracan.
Whatever the reason, from a competition point of view the ≠ 2,5 mm roof chop is overkill, totally unnecessary. The amount of material that's lowered to improve the Centre of Gravity minimal.
(as the main mass of the car body remains unchanged)
On a slot car a higher CG is not always a disadvantage, as we found out while testing our Scalex Ford GT LM. "Ultra Leggere"
After all the efforts I made to get the bodyweight down so we could place ballast down low...we noticed that it actually ran faster with ballast mounted high in the body.
I.m.o a missed opportunity, as Sideways has the tools and parts to make good competitive slot cars with respect of the overall proportions.
The M6 is a big and tall car, but it also has a long wheel and guide base. So it will never be as nimble on turn in as a Mclaren or a Huracan...
...but coming out of a corner...you would be able to floor it earlier.
Ask me how I know
I also posted that there is a precedent where a major manufacturer responded to critique about a model...NSR's Ford GT40 MKII.
@ Slotloco:
Gr5 was top of the line in the 70's, that's half a century ago. As such so are the car models and their scaled down Slotcar bodies.
Most of the Gr5 cars were basically touring cars with monstrously flared wheel arches, "silhouette" Tech rules implied that roofline and windows must maintain original from.
As such most of Gr5 cars are higher than current GT3 cars.
On the Slotrace Technical side both the Huracan and the M6 have "slotted" chassis. The intention of these is to create a form of adjustable flex in the chassis.
Although stock chassis "just" have open slots...its a plug & play set up to mount some form of spring or retainer nuts to stiffen or loosen the flex of the chassis to reduce or increase grip.
With kind regards
Tamar

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)