27th-Mar-20, 08:43 PM
Yogi Berra Quotes. In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
I like this thinking and sometimes all the charts and tables are good for a starter but are no use if you do not have the practical experience...
"Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment."
Some practical theory from me regarding a starting point for gearing.
Short can motors ie FC130 and FK130 and S can motors, gear them lowish around 3:1
Long can motors ie FK 180 including slimline FF050, gear them highish around 2.5:1
There are exceptions of course...recently fitted a 25k FF050 slimline into a PP chassis and geared it using an 8 tooth pinion and a 26 tooth crown wheel = 3.25:1 and as a result the motor gets to rev and stay cool.
Lugging a motor is never a good idea but I am surprised at how tall the FK and FF motors can be geared.
As I said just a starting point opinion.
I like this thinking and sometimes all the charts and tables are good for a starter but are no use if you do not have the practical experience...
"Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment."
Some practical theory from me regarding a starting point for gearing.
Short can motors ie FC130 and FK130 and S can motors, gear them lowish around 3:1
Long can motors ie FK 180 including slimline FF050, gear them highish around 2.5:1
There are exceptions of course...recently fitted a 25k FF050 slimline into a PP chassis and geared it using an 8 tooth pinion and a 26 tooth crown wheel = 3.25:1 and as a result the motor gets to rev and stay cool.
Lugging a motor is never a good idea but I am surprised at how tall the FK and FF motors can be geared.
As I said just a starting point opinion.

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)