30th-Jan-20, 06:30 PM
I hear this complaint quite often, and the same hapless guys have usually tried several rbands, all the way up to WIHA
To be blunt, I think just one of two possible things is happening
Either all the makers are conspiring to send their "Friday afternoon" production to a few unlucky slotters, or those
slotters have been blessed by their parents with such good physiology that they do not know their own strength.
The long version is - some makers have a certain size of tip for M2 grub screws that they call 0.9 and some call it 0.95.
In practice, sometimes the 0.9 is fractionally bigger than the 0.95...... but I have not come across any actual bad
ones among known brands. I import small batches of a cheapo Chinese one for guys who won't buy a torque wrench,
and most guys get a year or so good use out of it for 3 quid, then toss it. As below.
![[Image: hexM2.jpg]](https://www.slotraceshop.nz/images/slotraceshop%20brand/hexM2.jpg)
Likewise in the larger M2.5 size, we are offered 1.27mm and 1.3mm. I haven't really seen any difference, and due to the
larger dimensions, I suspect that for all practical purposes, they are interchangeable.
Any of the cheap RC tools seem to be fine.
But I always say to guys, do yourself a favour, buy a couple of torque wrenches, so you can accurately tighten grubs,
so wheels won't fall off, - so grubs and wheel threads don't get stripped, and grubs won't get over-tightened and
hard to remove.
I personally use the ScaleAuto metal one at home for 0.9 (M2) as it has a nice large handle, but they aren't available now.
The NSR ones seem nice. Haven't tried Sloting Plus. The Slot.it ones are cheaper but smaller, and some may find them fiddly
I use the Slot.it M2 one for mobile work and the Slot.it M2.5 one for all work on all M2.5 and 440 (NSR) Grub screws
M2 M2.5
![[Image: pa67b.jpg]](http://www.slotraceshop.nz/images/slot-it/accessories/pa67b.jpg)
They make tightening a breeze, you just twist as much as you like and the ratchet clicks, deal done.
What some folk don't know, is that these Slot.it ones have a removable back panel. Inside there is a screw, and by
holding the front bit and turning that screw, I have been able to adjust the ratchet tightness a little as an experiment.
But the factory setting seems fine.
I have been using a pair of these for about 6 years and have broken one M2 one in that time, I haven't rounded off any
tips. The very occasional cheap grub screw rounds off due to manufacturing quality, but not often.
I work on a lot of cars, and guys use my tools at my work bench and mobile at club, so they get a fair bit of work.
To be blunt, I think just one of two possible things is happening
Either all the makers are conspiring to send their "Friday afternoon" production to a few unlucky slotters, or those
slotters have been blessed by their parents with such good physiology that they do not know their own strength.
The long version is - some makers have a certain size of tip for M2 grub screws that they call 0.9 and some call it 0.95.
In practice, sometimes the 0.9 is fractionally bigger than the 0.95...... but I have not come across any actual bad
ones among known brands. I import small batches of a cheapo Chinese one for guys who won't buy a torque wrench,
and most guys get a year or so good use out of it for 3 quid, then toss it. As below.
![[Image: hexM2.jpg]](https://www.slotraceshop.nz/images/slotraceshop%20brand/hexM2.jpg)
Likewise in the larger M2.5 size, we are offered 1.27mm and 1.3mm. I haven't really seen any difference, and due to the
larger dimensions, I suspect that for all practical purposes, they are interchangeable.
Any of the cheap RC tools seem to be fine.
But I always say to guys, do yourself a favour, buy a couple of torque wrenches, so you can accurately tighten grubs,
so wheels won't fall off, - so grubs and wheel threads don't get stripped, and grubs won't get over-tightened and
hard to remove.
I personally use the ScaleAuto metal one at home for 0.9 (M2) as it has a nice large handle, but they aren't available now.
The NSR ones seem nice. Haven't tried Sloting Plus. The Slot.it ones are cheaper but smaller, and some may find them fiddly
I use the Slot.it M2 one for mobile work and the Slot.it M2.5 one for all work on all M2.5 and 440 (NSR) Grub screws
M2 M2.5
![[Image: pa67b.jpg]](http://www.slotraceshop.nz/images/slot-it/accessories/pa67b.jpg)
They make tightening a breeze, you just twist as much as you like and the ratchet clicks, deal done.
What some folk don't know, is that these Slot.it ones have a removable back panel. Inside there is a screw, and by
holding the front bit and turning that screw, I have been able to adjust the ratchet tightness a little as an experiment.
But the factory setting seems fine.
I have been using a pair of these for about 6 years and have broken one M2 one in that time, I haven't rounded off any
tips. The very occasional cheap grub screw rounds off due to manufacturing quality, but not often.
I work on a lot of cars, and guys use my tools at my work bench and mobile at club, so they get a fair bit of work.

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)