9th-Feb-25, 03:03 PM
(9th-Feb-25, 09:44 AM)OXO cube Wrote:(8th-Feb-25, 11:17 PM)pinit6 Wrote: Building one was kind of an early right-of-passage into the toolmakers trade
machined vice , forged and tempered screw driver & adjustable wrench , perfectly square hand made cube , sheet metal tool box were all modules during my toolmakers apprenticeship
a long time ago now , but will never forget having to cut a 1/4 inch slice off a 6 inch bar by hand with a hack saw as punishment for any misdemeanours, for a total of 3 when i was time served , ohh happy days lol
Kev
Yikes ! , guessing THAT took a while , at least your punishment was fairly quiet & you likely became a genius with a hacksaw.
I once scrapped the better part of a weeks work having gotten too impatient ( a high crime ) , I was subsequently stationed in front of a very large, old & scary Gordon lathe where my task for the next two weeks was to rough finish an endless supply of tool steel forgings, yeah forgings, they were all at least 1.5" out of round & covered in carbon slag. I'll never forget that sound .. & never got impatient again.
The hardest thing I ever had to train someone to do, & this is gonna sound weird, but it was to properly use .. a file.

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)