8th-Feb-25, 11:17 PM
(8th-Feb-25, 09:55 PM)Kevan Wrote: That's a really nice toolmakers vice, I miss having access to one like that, you can't beat quality, parallel and square for umpteen different jobs.
It gets used a lot & as you mention ; for a variety of tasks.
When I built that vise it was all by hand using mill, grinder & so on & there was considerable time spent figuring out how to get everything to work smoothly, correctly & reliably.
Building one was kind of an early right-of-passage into the toolmakers trade, that same job of fabrication that took several days to complete could now be done on modern machinery with CAD assist in likely less than a day .. & be even more precise to boot ! Maybe
When I left the trade to pursue a different vocation, the younger folks coming in were talented at programming the machine(s) & using the various software, but they had little knowledge when it came to actually cutting material & were utterly clueless as to how to fixture anything.
Lots of expensive CNC equipment crashed with regularity as the programming ability far exceeded the technical background to actually perform the work.
I don't know if the caboose ever quite caught up to the train that regard.
.

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)