9th-Jul-19, 03:04 PM
My special car is a Proslot Toyota GT1. The car which gave me a maiden race win.
In 2003 I started club racing and was, predictably, very bad at it - last in every heat and usually lapped twice by the winner. I gradually got the hang of things, crept up the pecking order a bit but couldn't prepare a car properly to save my life. At the time I was editor of the NSCC magazine and I got an email one day from a guy called Jim Brown of Slot Tech who was selling race prepared slot cars and he wanted to know if I would like one of his cars to review. Trying not to sound too keen I said I would give it a go and this arrived a few days later:
To say it was a bit good is something of an understatement, the thing was absolute magic. I won 2 heats with it first time out and broke the lap record. More wins followed in the ensuing weeks and I finished 3rd in the championship that year. This was just before Slot.It arrived on the scene and Proslot cars were a bit like Scale Auto today - very fast but fragile. Their main weakness was the guide mounting which broke with monotonous regularity and I got through a lot of replacement chassis. I eventually had to tell the other club members where I got it but I know a lot of other people who won club races with Jim's cars and kept very quiet about their origins. The guy was a genius but disappeared many years ago and I am not sure whether he is still alive.
The Toyota was retired from club racing long ago but still gets the odd outing on my home track although I have to be a bit careful with it as I am on my last chassis. Even so it is only a tenth or two slower than my fastest GT car and it is still using the original tyres, wheels, motor and gears.
In 2003 I started club racing and was, predictably, very bad at it - last in every heat and usually lapped twice by the winner. I gradually got the hang of things, crept up the pecking order a bit but couldn't prepare a car properly to save my life. At the time I was editor of the NSCC magazine and I got an email one day from a guy called Jim Brown of Slot Tech who was selling race prepared slot cars and he wanted to know if I would like one of his cars to review. Trying not to sound too keen I said I would give it a go and this arrived a few days later:
To say it was a bit good is something of an understatement, the thing was absolute magic. I won 2 heats with it first time out and broke the lap record. More wins followed in the ensuing weeks and I finished 3rd in the championship that year. This was just before Slot.It arrived on the scene and Proslot cars were a bit like Scale Auto today - very fast but fragile. Their main weakness was the guide mounting which broke with monotonous regularity and I got through a lot of replacement chassis. I eventually had to tell the other club members where I got it but I know a lot of other people who won club races with Jim's cars and kept very quiet about their origins. The guy was a genius but disappeared many years ago and I am not sure whether he is still alive.
The Toyota was retired from club racing long ago but still gets the odd outing on my home track although I have to be a bit careful with it as I am on my last chassis. Even so it is only a tenth or two slower than my fastest GT car and it is still using the original tyres, wheels, motor and gears.

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)