28th-Dec-21, 01:22 PM
I'm one of those 60s racers with an aversion to silicone tyres. I may have mentioned this before (ha!) but the firsttime I came across them was at a Luton 24 hour race in 67.
Half way through, one team fitted silicones and I had to follow them on the lane they used. It was like driving on ice. Admittedly we were using the standard spongies and goop but we immediately protested and they were told to swap back to proper tyres!
The effect on urethane is not quite as bad but still bad enough for me to win a first leg going away and then come absolutely nowhere when following a silicone user on the same lane.
I refuse to race where they are used. Don't suppose they will miss me but I do miss racing. I think the Green Monster team have agreed to ban them for the big meets but Bordeaux still allow them at the December meet so that's out for me.
Half way through, one team fitted silicones and I had to follow them on the lane they used. It was like driving on ice. Admittedly we were using the standard spongies and goop but we immediately protested and they were told to swap back to proper tyres!
The effect on urethane is not quite as bad but still bad enough for me to win a first leg going away and then come absolutely nowhere when following a silicone user on the same lane.
I refuse to race where they are used. Don't suppose they will miss me but I do miss racing. I think the Green Monster team have agreed to ban them for the big meets but Bordeaux still allow them at the December meet so that's out for me.

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)