Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

TRANS AM -Revell 60's
#1

A few years ago - I bought a coule of Cox Cheetah's and these 3 cars came along.

Up until this weekend when I took all my Revell 'stuff' out to assess what I have (yes I do forget what I have stashed away Rofl  ) I saw these again. I really didnt have a good opinion of them. Clunky came to mind. They are made of polypropalene plastic and had been painted and decalled - by a youngster I guess back in the day. Like we all did Cool

I was watching TV friday night and decided on the spur of the moment (as my Select 2D is still trying to 'unyellow' in the sun and my 'lexan' bodies are on the back burner), to clean up the cars. My trusty thumbnail and a toothpick came into play.

   

I had already cleaned up the Camaro in this pic, but you can see the other 2 as they arrived.

Why do I say clunky - look at the ride height and the amount of the chassis below the body line:

   

SO my first job on this car was to see if I could lover the ride height. Discarded the original tyre, and they have a 24mm OD. As I now have a large stock of tyres, (refer my tyre post), I had made some lower profile tyres from original Revell/Monogram tyres, as well as normal tinner type and the wider one as well.

I chopped off around 3-4mm of the chassis posts, and added the smaller tyres. Not that much smaller as The rear bearing are raised up in the chassis as the standard Mabuchi is huge, and thus track clearance becomes an issue. reas arre 22mm and fronts are 20 mm.

I had to do some judicious grinding of the driver deck to get the rear tyres cleared and free to move.

This is the view now:

   

I am now really liking these cars. Bigsmile  I then cleaned up the Mustang and the Cougar.

   

   

I then did the re-seating of chassis and tyres:

   

   


Like I said - I am now really liking these cars. I will stay with the original chassis/motors for the moment. I do have a later aluminium Revell chassis with the screw holes that would allow fitment to the body, and change to 16d type motors.

Here is the question - is it possible to paint these cars and for it to stick?  I have painted one of the Scalextric formula junior cars, where the paint has stuck, but has not been raced. I tend to think these will see racing action. Any help appreciated.
If anyone out there has some Revell ladder chassis they want to move on/sell - please let me know.

PS I do have all the chrome and glass work in good orrder.
[+] 2 members Like Anthony B's post
Quote


Messages In This Thread
TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Anthony B - 4th-Apr-21, 11:37 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by KensRedZed - 4th-Apr-21, 12:20 PM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by chrisguyw - 4th-Apr-21, 01:21 PM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by KensRedZed - 4th-Apr-21, 11:13 PM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Anthony B - 5th-Apr-21, 08:58 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Anthony B - 5th-Apr-21, 09:13 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Anthony B - 5th-Apr-21, 09:32 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by chrisguyw - 5th-Apr-21, 12:55 PM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by autoavia - 5th-Apr-21, 09:50 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by autoavia - 5th-Apr-21, 03:41 PM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Anthony B - 6th-Apr-21, 03:55 PM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by chrisguyw - 6th-Apr-21, 10:07 PM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Eddie Grice - 7th-Apr-21, 07:23 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Anthony B - 7th-Apr-21, 08:40 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by BAracer - 7th-Apr-21, 09:39 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Eddie Grice - 7th-Apr-21, 09:06 AM
RE: TRANS AM -Revell 60's - by Anthony B - 26th-Apr-21, 06:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Anthony B
13th-Oct-20, 08:44 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)