Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Carrera Superbird and Daytona Rework.
#1

You have to love these ~70's slice of Nascar with Wings !

But I felt Carrera's execution wasn't quite right, wheels were overscale and the rear in the air like an ostrich burying its head in the sand was so wrong.
All the pics I found showed the cars with no rake, or at best an almost imperceptible amount.
I set to fixing that with the help of an Amato Universal Chassis, some 15.8mm Slot.It wheels fitted with NSR Classic tyres.

Originally I was going to run a Slot.it Flat 6 motor, but as I have a nice collection of NC5's I snagged for around £2 a piece, I thought they would make a nicer choice for home use.

That did mean I had to molest the interior for clearance, but I didn't want to lose all the detail, and I needed part of the interiors for mounting post fixing.so I compromised on raising the floor pan using card and re-attaching a shortened driver and seat, while retaining the roll cage and fire extinguisher.
The benefit was also a little weight saving - before and after:

[Image: xPwvIrk.jpg]

[Image: hscUI0t.jpg]

Every little helps  Rofl

I cut the posts a fraction shorter than I wanted and screwed them tight to the chassis.
Then after roughening the area the post were going and the top of the post "mushrooms" I glued the post to the body using just enough epoxy to hold it for now.
Then, once dry, I took off the chassis and put a build up of epoxy around the post for extra strength. As per usual, not pretty but that wasn't the priority !

[Image: rX8Av54.jpg]

As the nosecone and taillights section was also held in by the original chassis, I cut the ends off and used those, slipped a neoprene washer on both chassis mount posts (thats why i cut the posts fractionaly short) added some weight and buttoned it all up.
The neoprene washers in conjunction with some Sloting Plus body screws give it a nice dampened body rock.

[Image: d45l5Gk.jpg]

[Image: 0bhUFof.jpg]

A before and after comparison:

[Image: spRVEUh.jpg]

[Image: sxM45yp.jpg]

And some gratuitous pics around my track to finish  Cool

[Image: pQIXMiW.jpg]

[Image: bOwqKQq.jpg]

[Image: ZQvgOMn.jpg]
[+] 8 members Like Savage GT's post
Quote


Messages In This Thread
Carrera Superbird and Daytona Rework. - by Savage GT - 1st-Mar-21, 04:33 PM
RE: Carrera Superbird and Daytona Rework. - by rallyhub - 1st-Mar-21, 05:48 PM
RE: Carrera Superbird and Daytona Rework. - by KensRedZed - 1st-Mar-21, 06:56 PM
RE: Carrera Superbird and Daytona Rework. - by Qman - 2nd-Mar-21, 04:00 PM
RE: Carrera Superbird and Daytona Rework. - by Model Murdering - 2nd-Mar-21, 05:21 PM
RE: Carrera Superbird and Daytona Rework. - by Savage GT - 2nd-Mar-21, 06:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Gpa113
19th-Nov-25, 03:13 PM
Last Post by Kevan
3rd-Oct-24, 10:02 AM
Last Post by KensRedZed
1st-Jul-24, 01:18 PM
Last Post by fotodoug2
14th-May-24, 03:56 AM
Last Post by PSquirrel
19th-Apr-24, 01:13 AM
Last Post by Andyroo
20th-Oct-23, 12:42 PM
Last Post by psuskeet
31st-Jan-23, 01:26 AM
Last Post by BAracer
24th-Dec-22, 05:23 PM
Last Post by CMOTD
10th-Jun-22, 10:03 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)