24th-Jan-21, 08:24 PM
(24th-Jan-21, 07:43 PM)KensRedZed Wrote: Welcome to SlotRacer, Gary.![]()
Which vintage set did you prefer? Eldon or Strombecker?
Thanks so much! Well, it was a really long time ago now, but both had their good features. I remember that the Eldon set came with two chassis but also with 6 bodies. They were easily interchanged and I still have several of them today though the rest of the set is long gone. There was a Ford Thunderbird, a Ford Galaxie, a Pontiac, Plymouth and a Chevrolet that I recall. They appear to be either '61 or '62 vintage autos. It was a pretty basic set otherwise.
The Strombecker had more track, with a lane-changing section and pylons for overpasses. There were two cars, an E-Type Jag and a Ferrari 250 I believe. One or both of those car bodies may still be around here someplace as well. Oh, and I seem to remember working headlights in those two racers as well. Man, I wish I had kept more of both old sets now. I did get out my 1/24 cars from my days in Australia to show my grandson this morning. Wow, they hadn't been out of their case in many years and really did show their age. There were my two Cox racers, the Lotus 40 and Ferrari Dino, along with rotten tires, worn-out gears and assorted other crap from 1967, lol. Those Cox racers were competitive with the Tamiya Lotus 40s that came out about the same time. But after the appearance of the Russkit vac-form cars with their flat, pan chassis, there was no way to compete. Those Russkit cars were fast out the box, but when fitted with the "hot rodded" Mabuchi 26Ds, they just flat screamed. 250 feet in under 12 seconds seemed fast back then!

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)