20th-Nov-20, 05:49 PM
(20th-Nov-20, 01:16 PM)BourneAgainRacer Wrote: I can see that S-Cans perhaps all have a separate plastic end bell, whereas Short Can motors seem to be enclosed within a metal case. But I cannot believe there are separate categories just based on the design of the case.
Are there fundamental differences between these two motor types?
They aren't interchangeable in most chassis / motor pods, which is almost certainly whey Pendles have kept them apart - "that motor you sold me doesn't fit!". My very limited experience of the Short Can is from the latter-day Ninco NC9 'Sprinter' motor. I think some of the MSC cars have them too?
Despite the design being different (outside and inside), I suspect the rpm and torque stats are going to tell the tale of how they perform - the Scaleauto S-Can and Short Cans seem similar from the data on the Pendles website - but that's not to say some of the characteristics won't be different, like magnetic downforce maybe?
It is fun picking up cheap sub-£1 motors from China. I got some long-cans a while back that looked and performed like they were from a batch of Avant Slot motors. I have some of the yellow end-bell S-Cans with the metal brushes that are a bit rough, to say the least! Plus some white-can carbon-brush ones that are pretty smooth, come out about 23k rpm, but are a bit gutless torque-wise. Also found some lovely lower-rev replacements for the Scalextric FF motors. All great for home use, but probably a false economy for competition?

![[+]](https://slotracer.online/community/images/bootbb/collapse_collapsed.png)