Posts: 10
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 2 in 2 posts
Likes Given: 3
Joined: Jul 2020
A quick question - should a digital car run on an analogue track? I have a Red Porsche Boxster which seems to be dead. However if I pull the body off and push down where the guide is power is picked up and the wheels spin. If it was an analogue car I would spread the braids a little to ensure there is contact but in this case there is nothing to manipulate since the contacts are flat to the car?
I don't care much for the car and will likely sell it on but want to make sure it is working - perhaps on a proper digital setup it will run fine?
•
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,030 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
I have a set of six of the digital Boxsters - they make nice, robust beginners’ cars. Apart from the factory-fitted chip, they are identical to the analogue version. They are fitted with the same easy-change braid plate as all Scalextric cars from the past 15 years. Is that missing from yours?
•
Posts: 1,230
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Sounds like it Andy.
S'biscuit - Are the 'contacts' just shiny chrome-like metal strips? If so your car is missing the braided disk that slots over the guide blade and clips into place, as Andy suggests.
•
Posts: 280
Threads: 6
Likes Received: 352 in 149 posts
Likes Given: 196
Joined: Jul 2020
Scalextric braid change on the 'tube that someone made
(This post was last modified: 31st-Jul-20, 05:36 PM by
DPJ.)
•
Posts: 10
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 2 in 2 posts
Likes Given: 3
Joined: Jul 2020
Yes just two shiny chome plates. I checked the video and I am sure i have a couple of those plates in a bag somewhere - received win a joblot of odds and sods which I picked up. I wondered what they were and now I know! Great thanks!
By the way - the detail on the car is a little disappointing in my opinion. Lights which are simply printed on the body work and very little detailing. Compared to the analogue Porsche 911 for example there is no comparison for me.
Thanks!
•
Posts: 280
Threads: 6
Likes Received: 352 in 149 posts
Likes Given: 196
Joined: Jul 2020
Lets see some pics of them!
•
Posts: 82
Threads: 12
Likes Received: 62 in 36 posts
Likes Given: 7
Joined: Apr 2019
Location South Oxon, UK
A car fitted with a Scalextric digital chip should run on an analogue track if it is running with the original firmware.
A few year ago, Ian Harding wrote an alternative version of the firmware in which he removed the analogue duality. Cars re-flashed with InCar-Pro firmware will not run on an analogue track.
•
Posts: 1,748
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
(31st-Jul-20, 09:58 PM)spacebiscuit Wrote: By the way - the detail on the car is a little disappointing in my opinion. Lights which are simply printed on the body work and very little detailing. Compared to the analogue Porsche 911 for example there is no comparison for me.
Thanks!
The Boxster was one of the Scalextric "low detail" cars that were intended as budget/entry level models. The marketing strategy was to offer cars that were low cost and resilient to accident damage.
The prices soon escalated and so the concept was lost.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•