Posts: 1,249
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,036 in 520 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
Related to the slot racer's manual thread.
I stopped racing around 1974/5 after having been doing just about nothing else since I was thirteen (1960) including studying, attending every school lesson etc
I returned four or five years ago I was surprised how hard it was to get back up to speed with what was happening. The main problem was where to source parts, especially as my heart is still in the sixties and the cars we used to race back then. It was only by joining a forum (SFI) that thing slowly took shape and the help provided there was invaluable.
If there had been a clear map on how to get started / restarted, it would have been useful rather than the wallowing around I had to do.
•
Posts: 815
Threads: 26
Likes Received: 433 in 243 posts
Likes Given: 154
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Norwich England
Same thing here Gordon ,got back into it 4 years ago , nobody stocked scratch building stuff , just scalextric also hardly any proper model shops .The SFI forum helped greatly , still an awful lot more to learn .I still miss being able to nip up the model shops and get what I need
Steve
•
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
(3rd-Mar-20, 12:39 PM)Gordon Steadman Wrote: If there had been a clear map on how to get started / restarted, it would have been useful rather than the wallowing around I had to do.
I started the slot hobby about three years ago.
Perversely , I enjoyed the "wallowing about".
Learning new things at every race meeting and blogging the learnings has been great experience for me.
It also meant I had to work everything out for myself, so despite many dead ends, I have working processes that are not always aligned with the way others set their equipment up.
Alan
Posts: 1,249
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,036 in 520 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
(3rd-Mar-20, 02:34 PM)Nonfractal Wrote: (3rd-Mar-20, 12:39 PM)Gordon Steadman Wrote: If there had been a clear map on how to get started / restarted, it would have been useful rather than the wallowing around I had to do.
I started the slot hobby about three years ago.
Perversely , I enjoyed the "wallowing about".
Learning new things at every race meeting and blogging the learnings has been great experience for me.
It also meant I had to work everything out for myself, so despite many dead ends, I have working processes that are not always aligned with the way others set their equipment up.
Alan
It would have been a lot easier if there was a club to go to. I really only have access to Bordo twice a year and at other times it's the forums.
As far as setting up is concerned, I just make it go well at home and hope it still works when racing at Bordo, I have no other reference point.
•
Posts: 69
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 96 in 46 posts
Likes Given: 5
Joined: Nov 2019