Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
In case you missed it last night
Bbc news
Appeared just after midnight on the BBC news channel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england...l-65163312
(This post was last modified: 12th-Apr-23, 06:02 AM by
Nonfractal.)
Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium

Thanks for this - passed it on to friends who have an autistic son ....
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Interestingly I let it autoplay and there were two more Slot car videos after that one.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 90
Threads: 27
Likes Received: 37 in 25 posts
Likes Given: 9
Joined: Mar 2023
That’s nice to see, I wish them luck
(This post was last modified: 12th-Apr-23, 09:15 AM by
Charlie.)
•
Posts: 221
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 247 in 122 posts
Likes Given: 19
Joined: Jun 2020
When George Turner had his track he was contacted by a lady whose teenage son had autism and she asked if she could bring him along on a Saturday morning. She was a bit concerned that he may not fit in but he really enjoyed himself and attended regularly. She said that as a result of attending he became much more sociable and it was the only place she was able to leave him for a while while she went shopping because he felt comfortable there and she knew the members would look after him. After George closed the track we lost touch with him but hopefully he is doing ok.
Posts: 573
Threads: 9
Likes Received: 569 in 284 posts
Likes Given: 727
Joined: Mar 2021
I’ve built 4 magnet slot cars for autistic children who have raced at our local hobby store track. I built them primarily to quiet the parents over correcting their children. What happened in 3 of the 4 cases, the children were more social, okked forward to racing, fit in well with the other children and adults. Several took their cars to “show & tell” and their social circles grew positively. One child grew so confident in herself she became a latch key kid and is now a JR in High school.
Posts: 2,514
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,556
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
(12th-Apr-23, 09:03 AM)Kevan Wrote: Interestingly I let it autoplay and there were two more Slot car videos after that one.
The World Championship clip is from the Worthing club. I'd recognise that flint wall anywhere.
And I don't know where I am on the spectrum, but I do find the experience of racing a car repeatedly round and round a track both calming and challenging at the same time.
I love puttering with gears
Posts: 304
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 291 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 51
Joined: Sep 2019
Location Cornwall
Ian (the autistic guy running the group) is probably the most enthusiastic guy I've met, his fame is spreading, people are sending him sets, and he had an amazing bundle sent from Scalextric themselves 4 or 5 cars (2 of them digital) a whole load of track, loads of stuff. His next venture is setting up a track for a Mini owners weekend, he's got a brand new marquee and he's raring to go.
On another note if you were watching carefully they interviewed me as well, autographs available for a small cost
Bernie, racing since 1969