Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

NSR Tyres
#1

So all the advice is to use NSR tyres for your fast cars, but when a packet of 4 Supergrips contains the following three examples, you have to question their manufacturing methods.

   

I can't remember where I bought these from, but the fact they even made it into the pack puts me off spending my money with them.

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#2

They’ll glue & true nicely  Thumbup

Honest.

Place the deformed side to the back of the hub.
Quote
#3

Really???

I thought we got excited about untwisting twisted chassis, but it's ok to run on these with a bit of sandpapering!

I love puttering with gears
[+] 2 members Like BAracer's post
Quote
#4

I started a thread on slot.it tyres a while back.
It drifted off topic but but there is useful NSR tyre info in there. 
"A bit of sandpapering " will never be enough prep for supers/ultras.

Alan

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p...ent&page=3
My 2021 proxy cars have all been shod with NSR 5260 to date.
I've had problems with the cars (guides, centre of gravity, ground clearance) but not with the tyres.
[+] 2 members Like Nonfractal's post
Quote
#5

I meant gluing and truing of course, but to me, these examples cannot be as effective as some completely round ones.

However, I will g+t them on some hubs and will compare them against some perfectly round N22s.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BAracer's post
Quote
#6

(10th-May-21, 09:08 AM)BARacer Wrote:  I meant gluing and truing of course, but to me, these examples cannot be as effective as some completely round ones.

However, I will g+t them on some hubs and will compare them against some perfectly round N22s.

The older nsr tyres cannot be simply skimmed. 
Only the full glue and true treatment gives them any hope of working. 
Any pair of tyres has to be trued to the same diameter on the wheel to be ready for the track.
NSR tyre prep is where knowledge,  money ( a Hudy ) and patience pays dividends. 

I borrow a truer when I have to work with NSR supers, but the truth is, they are a lot of work to get right.
Consequently, I use NSR reds for club racing and 5260s when the host event or club forbids non-black tyres.

Alan
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post
Quote
#7

I’ve found the NSR UltraGrips glue & true nicely on my DIY truer (here).The harder SuperGrips need a bit more work. Both need lots of patience - as do any tyres on that set-up. I’m sure a Hudy tyre truer will get them ship-shape much quicker.
Quote
#8

Whatever I do, I still think there will be dimple in the surface of the tyre due to the imperfection.

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#9

If you're just making a runner for your home track? They will do fine.

If you're entering a competition? Get better tires and put those aside for a home-track car. You'll lose sleep over it.

You're in a bind because you can't send them back.

The Hudy will teach them a lesson they'll never forget!

Ken
[+] 2 members Like KensRedZed's post
Quote
#10

I need to make them a bit narrower on the inside edge, so will try out the little needle tyre cutter on the Hudy.
And I do need to take a bit off the diameter to get them to the size I want. So I might end up without any imperfections after all.

Then I'll have a N22 / Supergrip showdown!

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BAracer's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Gordon Steadman
28th-Dec-21, 05:15 PM
Last Post by autoavia
30th-Jul-20, 11:02 AM
Last Post by Top Down
20th-Jun-19, 04:59 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)