Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Anthony. Thanks a million for sharing.
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
Some great info here.
Thanks for sharing this, especially the product and supplier details.
I use Ortmanns at one club (well I did back when we were racing last year)
I'd be very interested in seeing updates as you refine and optimise the process, experiment with shure ratings and do some track testing.
I've read that the tubs of urethane are enough to make thousands of tyres but do have a shelf life once opened.
AlanW
Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
(10th-Feb-21, 07:40 PM)Anthony B Wrote: @ at Gordon - shattered to hear Bruno died? What happened.
Not sure how. His partner wrote back and told me after I raised a query about an order. She has been trying to get someone to take the business on but without success so far it seems. I did try and act as intermediary for someone in the UK but they changed their minds.
Not sure what is going to happen now.
Posts: 554
Threads: 32
Likes Received: 817 in 363 posts
Likes Given: 197
Joined: Dec 2020
Location burnley UK
using the long cure time urethane makes life much easier
simply leave over night to cure
also i do not use syringe ( i did buy originally but do not use anymore )
i simply form the disposable mixing cup edge/ lip into a spout and carefully pour the urethane into the mould
and have had hardly any failures or bubble problems
Posts: 1
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 1 in 1 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Feb 2021
I just joined the forum to avail myself of Anthony’s info.
I have in the past followed the tire casting primer at the Old Weird Herald website.
I am working on a similar process to yours.
I will be using my inexpensive flexible mold medium: a mixture of glycerine, powdered gelatin, and acrylic paint, poured over vintage OEM rubber tires affixed temporarily to the bottom of a 90 degree corner silicone bread baking pan. Once a master mold is created tires with only sided tire markings can be made.
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
Something I've always noticed about Urethane (ortmanns) is that the tyres are always single sided.
One tyre wall is a perfect representation including the formula and manufacturer (of the original) on the outer sidewall , but very roughly cut on the inner sidewall which is a bit annoying for open wheel racers where the inner wall is on display,
How do the major rubber tyre manufacturers create those perfect sidewalls on the outer and inner face ?
Could that same process work for Urethane ?
AlanW
•
Posts: 554
Threads: 32
Likes Received: 817 in 363 posts
Likes Given: 197
Joined: Dec 2020
Location burnley UK
Alan i think the only way remove the rough inner would be to make a 2 part mould , similar to when casting resin bodies and figures
with an inlet hole and breather hole
most likely the syringe method would be employed in this case
but could be more expensive due to using more silicone rubber for the moulds
i have found that the inners are easily ground and therefore the roughness is not really noticeable after truing
deffo an option though for the open wheeler types
kev
•
Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium
Absolutely right - to get perfect looking on both sides would require a two part mould. At the moment beyond my skills....but who knows in the future.
A few observations:
The urethane has a short shelf life - so get enough silicone moulds built to be able to do a lot of casting in a short period(few weeks). I will order more silicone this month and make some more moulds so I can use all my urethane before it goes off.
I will attempt to just 'pour' the urethane in when I do my next run, but as it starts curing quickly - I do not hold out much hope on this method. Even now with syringes, I have had one or to fails with 'half' cast wheels and even some tyres not curing in small spots. - SO that is something else to remember - needs to be perfectly mixed - A and B parts. I rushed a little as was nervous the mixture would cure too quickly.
So really one needs to mix small amounts (as I have said before) and have enough moulds to be able to use all the urethane effectively.
Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
It seems clear that Odile never did find a buyer for SlotCarsTyres after Bruno died. Maybe she was expecting too much for it.
Anyway, I received my last order this morning as she contacted me to ask if I wanted anything from the remaining stocks. I assume she has written to all Bruno's old customers. It seemed sensible to put in a reasonable order. I guess I'm fortunate not to make that many cars so not many tyres by some people's standards.
This lot will keep me going until I too have a dabble in making my own.
Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium
Gordon. My intention is to improve my skills and sell off my excess. Not as a business but more as a feeder of funds for my habit. So I am looking for some more old tyres with good writing still visible on sidewalls, as I will be making more moulds. I really like this urethane I am using as it is really grippy without being too soft.
Another reason to sell excess , is to effectively use all the urethane , as I will need to cast in batches over a couple of weeks and that will imply huge stocks . I already have about 30 pairs of wide rear Monogram tyres ?
(This post was last modified: 25th-Feb-21, 08:43 PM by
Anthony B.)