Posts: 526
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 884 in 356 posts
Likes Given: 2,631
Joined: Jun 2020
Good evening anyone out there!
Please can anybody offer some tips/advice?
I am just finishing putting together 12 resin bodied kits, sort of a little production line.
Mostly Ocar, some Pendle and a cracking good George Turner Ford Falcon.
So.....everything is done, except fitting the interior trays into place. Theses are trimmed, painted and detailed.
Not sure of the best way to actually secure them.
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks,
Pip
•
Posts: 56
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 80 in 26 posts
Likes Given: 50
Joined: Apr 2019
Hi Pip
I would tend to use Super Glue it works better with resin and keeps the interior in position instantly.
Good luck
Graham
•
Posts: 1,247
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
I use armoured tape. I have a big roll left over from reinforcing the sides of blobs to take pins. It's very sticky and holds for ever but allows for removal should you wish/need.
•
Posts: 2,055
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,126
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
I second Gordon's suggestion. I bought a good quality 3M masking tape that is so sticky, it sticks until you choose to remove it.
This is a resin interior taped into a resin body. All my interiors are taped in.
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
Gluing a resin interior tray into a resin body works but....if you use superglue you run the riisk of fogging the windows with the CA glue fumes.....plus as others have said you cannot easily remove it.
Another vote from me for using a good tape.
•
Posts: 86
Threads: 2
Likes Received: 31 in 24 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
I usually use a glue gun.
•
Posts: 56
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 80 in 26 posts
Likes Given: 50
Joined: Apr 2019
Hi Pip
When I replied to your post I could only advise you on the experiences I've had with the cars I made recently.
The latest being a Sunbeam Rapier from Pendle.
On the underside of the car roof were 4 raised points where the screen/side window mould sat perfectly to align with the body.
In order to fit the driver's tray I had to remove a lot of excess material on the screen/side window mould, so much so the screens sat just below the window line for a perfect fit.
Using a small amount of Super Glue on each post the screen mould attached nicely; had I used tape I would have to have double sided it and you would have seen it in the headlining of the car which would necessitate painting it out.
When fitting the driver's tray the underside of the car wasn't very flat, also I had to remove most of the side wall to make it fit correctly.
In the end I glued the driver's tray to the chassis mounting posts and pushed the tray up into position whilst the glue set.
Also, I've never had any fogging due to glue fumes!
All I can say is, use the method you are most comfortable with and the best for the car configuration. Sounds like you have a lot to do so the chances are they won't all be the same.
Cheers
Graham
•
Posts: 526
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 884 in 356 posts
Likes Given: 2,631
Joined: Jun 2020
Thanks to all who have replied to my post.
Tape does look easiest, and I can remove if, more likely when, I get it wrong
GT Sprite/Graham, thanks for your last post. Exactly the problem I could see when measuring and trimming the trays before painting.
Some fit very well, others less so, so thanks for your detailed feedback.
Will proceed with caution ⚠️
•