Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
The front axle on one of my Sideways cars has excessive front/rear play. I'm thinking the way to solve it is to run the axle within a brass tube which can then be held in position by the grub screws on the uproghts.
I am reading that 1/8" tubing is probably what I need (I have a standard 3/32" axle) but I am not seeing details of the inside diameters of the tubing. Is 1/8th" the OD I need to go for?
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 159
Threads: 8
Likes Received: 388 in 114 posts
Likes Given: 176
Joined: Sep 2020
•
Posts: 388
Threads: 43
Likes Received: 957 in 299 posts
Likes Given: 1
Joined: Aug 2019
Location Toronto, Canada
Hello Jeremy, 1/8 od (3/32 id.) tubing is what you need,.......if you are concerned about weight, alu. tubing will work just as well.
You will likely need to open the slots in the front axle uprights a touch to accept the 1/8 tubing,......just open them enough to let the tubing slide vertically, while minimizing any fore aft movement. Install your grub screws as per normal.
The MRSlotcar SR2001 or SR2103 bushings (reduced outer dia. work great, if you are interested)
cheers
Chris Walker
The SR2001 bushings installed on the front end of an NSR
The MRSlotcar SR2001's are on the left,....a few strokes with a round file and you are in business.
These work in most cars,........they really improve the handling of the Policar F1's......
And,......... there is nothing wrong with a simple piece of 1/8 od brass/alu.
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,194
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
These work perfectly also...once the end is cleared with an axle
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
(This post was last modified: 11th-Apr-23, 10:26 PM by
Kevan.)
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
Thanks both.
The MR reducers obviously look the part, but are nowhere to be found on this little island fortress we have created.
The ferrules I've seen used before, but I struggle to poke a simple wire through mine, so I'm sure I won't have one that will take an axle.
So...I will head off into the world of brass. Who knows where it will lead!
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
(12th-Apr-23, 07:13 AM)BARacer Wrote: Thanks both.
The MR reducers obviously look the part, but are nowhere to be found on this little island fortress we have created.
Several US suppliers have them but I couldn't find any in Europe either so not just absent in the UK. They are a Canadian firm and importing from there is just the same as it always has been. To imply that Brexit is the cause is somewhat disingenuous. Pendle's stock a vast range of MR Slotcar spares but not this one. May be that nobody has asked for them before or they have been overlooked, try asking if they could obtain them.
Posts: 388
Threads: 43
Likes Received: 957 in 299 posts
Likes Given: 1
Joined: Aug 2019
Location Toronto, Canada
I think that Pendle ordered some of these very recently,...........I will check the order , and confirm later today.
Cheers
Chris Walker
(This post was last modified: 12th-Apr-23, 03:41 PM by
chrisguyw.)
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
(12th-Apr-23, 03:40 PM)chrisguyw Wrote: I think that Pendle ordered some of these very recently,...........I will check the order , and confirm later today.
Cheers
Chris Walker
They certainly did, and now some of them are heading my way!
I love puttering with gears
(This post was last modified: 12th-Apr-23, 09:46 PM by
BAracer.)
•