Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Front Engined Slot Cars

So I have seen a slot car that would fit nicely into a race series at the local club which uses standard Scalextric motors and track...but the car has the motor at the front end of the chassis. 

1. Has anyone, ever, managed to build and tune a front motored slot car into a competitive machine using the original chassis configuration? 

2. Does anyone have any clever tips for installing a digital IR LED somewhere at the front amongst all the guide and motor kit? 

Be honest with me, I haven't bought it yet... But I am up for a challenge (with all you help!)

I love puttering with gears

Have just come across Surechange guides! 

That's query 2 sorted.

[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

Honestly? 
Just "Don't" !

I have only ever owned 2 front motor cars, A pair of fly vipers.  Banghead
Not quick, don't handle well. Even with the factory magnets installed.
Without the mags, they don't work at all. 

Convert to digital? Not a chance!   No space at all for the emitter LED because the motor is right up against the guide.

Bronze bushes for the axles but a plastic brush for the prop shaft..  not good. 

Having dug these out of a box in the shed, I'm looking at them and considering if there is anything that  could be done to make them competitive.
Probably  not (in  any classes at any clubs I go to)

Surechange guide?

Surechange Guide...was directed to it earlier this morning, only seems to be available from a large French online store...I present to you, a guide with built in holder for an IR LED! 

[+] 1 member Likes BARacer's post

Isn't there an issue with ARC PRO and surechange guides in that because the LED is in front of the guide they don't work?

You can still use them but the LED has to be no more than 1 cm behind the guide.
Again, I am not 100% sure so feel free to tell me I am wrong.

We race without magnets.

So it must be about weight distribution, and what having a heavy lump at the front does to handling? But doesn't it mean the guide stays well planted as the rear wheels fight for any sort of grip?

(28th-Apr-20, 01:22 PM)BourneAgainRacer Wrote:  ..weight distribution, and what having a heavy lump at the front does to handling? But doesn't it mean the guide stays well planted as the rear wheels fight for any sort of grip?
Yep, that would be my guess too. 
The driving wheels really should really have the majority of weight over them.
Alan
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

Have a look at this link,it was my entry in International Proxy Series  2014 it classsified 1st beating 
Front engine set up

and below is the com,ent of one of the hosts
I.P.S. Round 6 Shelmore Park Australia
06-21-2014, 06:52 PM

The cars arrived on Thursday from Stubbo.
They were soon unloaded and lined up on the pit apron for the mechanics to check.

During the checks Ferrari 59 was found to be missing one front axle spacer allowing the front axle to move sideways.the mechanics soon added a new spacer.

In the mean time at the rear of the pits the No 9 Ferrari was having it Team Stubbo loaner motor removed and replaced.The reason the original motor melted its end bell bearing is probably due to rear axle bearing the out of alignment having come loose at some time.

Early is practice before qualifying Jag No 92 was reving very hard out of the slow corners,the team soon found that the drive shaft was loose onto the motor,they soon had that repaired before qualifying started.

The track was in very good condition after last weeks meeting with plenty of fresh rubber down.
Lennys Silver slippery IPS veteran soon proved that it is still a great runner and topped out the time sheets.

[Image: Qualifying_zpsf65d5944.jpg]

The scrutineers also directed the 112 Ferrai back in for some checks after it was so quick in qualifying .

[Image: 112checkfront_zps91aa4471.jpg]

But it all check out O/K it just should not be that good for a front engined car!

[+] 3 members Like AlexisGaitanis's post

(28th-Apr-20, 01:20 PM)dvd3500 Wrote:  Isn't there an issue with ARC PRO and surechange guides in that because the LED is in front of the guide they don't work?

That's my understanding, too. They won't work with ARC Pro Digital. Glen

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by rallyhub
22nd-Jul-21, 02:19 PM
Last Post by Qman
1st-May-21, 03:52 PM
Last Post by BARacer
25th-Feb-21, 02:49 PM