Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Is there such a thing?
Bought a car that looks like it's been painted with a yard brush. I'm guessing Humbrol enamel as I think I recognise one of the colours.
Although the painting is awful, the construction is pretty good so try as I might I can't remove the 'glass' and several pieces of 'chrome', including the steering wheel without the very high risk of damage to the parts and the areas of the body they are attached to.
Is there a paint stripper that would remove the enamel without damaging the glass or chrome - or at least, the glass?
•
Posts: 815
Threads: 26
Likes Received: 433 in 243 posts
Likes Given: 154
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Norwich England
I think a product called Modelstrip would do it but I'm not sure if it's still available and what it might do to chrome
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
Modelstrip hasn't been available for several years now but it would strip the chrome plate anyway.
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
•
Posts: 456
Threads: 35
Likes Received: 202 in 130 posts
Likes Given: 534
Joined: Apr 2019
Be careful with brake fluid. It can be too aggressive...
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Thanks for all the advice. I looked for Dettol everywhere, couldn't find 'the right sort' so plumped for a 'proper' paint stripper for plastic, made by Revell.
Of course, walked into a Pound shop the next day and what was right in front of the door? The 'right Dettol'.
So far though, I haven't had the chance to try either.
(This post was last modified: 13th-Aug-19, 07:31 PM by
Top Down.)
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
I used Dettol only once...NEVER again, what a stench!
...and it didn't even get all the paint off even after 2 days submerged
(This post was last modified: 13th-Aug-19, 07:45 PM by
Kevan.)
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Well for me it'll be a back-up. Having spent seven times as much on the Revell 'real thing' I think I'll be using that first!
•