Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Umm? 'New-ish' to 1/32.
Jumping in at the deep end I pulled the trigger on a used NSR Mosler, which to my surprise came with an upgraded 30k motor. A quick look while the grandchildren were distracted by the Wii and all I've spotted so far is one taillight missing - and more 'seriously', a binding front axle. This was freed up by twisting and pulling the wheels outwards just a fraction. (I don't have ANY Allen keys yet!)
The club race non-magnet cars on Scalextric Sport track so I've already removed the magnet but should I add weight, if so where and how much?
Is this 'race ready' other than the usual truing up of the tyres (NSR's all round) and a little light oiling, or should I be loosening off the body and motor pod screws and 'doing other stuff'?
I guess one or two spare grub screws wouldn't go amiss, so what size would I need - and what Allen key?
(This post was last modified: 3rd-Jun-19, 11:57 AM by
Top Down.)
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
P.S. ...and can the wheel inserts be removed easily, or are they stuck in?
•
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Yo T-D,
My NSR FIAT Punto takes a 1.2mm Allen Key, don't know what the thread diameter is but prob 2mm.
The wheel inserts are a push/interference fit.
Can't offer any tuning advice as I am rubbish at that !!
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Thanks. That's a good start anyway. Nice car spoilt by naff looking inserts but if they come out without wrecking them they may look better painted black, or gold?
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Whipped the inserts out using a paper clip. Took a few seconds.
They WON'T be going back in.
Car looks a million dollars now
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
We
need photos.
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Before:
After:
Just my opinion but the exposed alloys look SO much better than the cheap looking plastic inserts.
(This post was last modified: 3rd-Jun-19, 10:32 PM by
JasonB.)
•
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
Yup, that looks better to me too.
•
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Agreed ! The Punto also has unpainted inserts but the plain alloy look doesn't suit a saloon car so I guess I'll have to paint 'em.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
Yes, the option was to paint them but on the Mosler the alloy rims look great!
The inserts were easy to pop and do then present another option. The cylindrical part that slips into the wheel could be trimmed down, less on the front wheels, more on the back, to leave more of the alloy rim exposed, giving the appearance of different offsets to the wheels front and back.
Along with painting the inserts gunmetal, black or gold I think this would make a significant improvement!
(This post was last modified: 3rd-Jun-19, 10:48 PM by
Top Down.)
•