Posts: 5
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 13 in 4 posts
Likes Given: 8
Joined: Dec 2020
Hi, I'm hoping one of the experts in the forum can help me.
I have a curved Scalextric lane changer that is causing de-slots with a number of cars because they hit the pointed end of the flipper.
It doesn't happen with all cars but those that it does come to an abrupt halt like hitting the wall!!
I've "sharpened" the guide blade but in some instances that's made the situation worse as cars change lanes without actually pressing the lane change button. I was wondering if anyone had ever removed the flipper from the track and if so how it was held in. It appears to be held by a pin of some sort which i can turn but cannot seem to pull out.
Hope someone can advise.
Kind regards
Allan
•
Posts: 4,022
Threads: 686
Likes Received: 9,025 in 3,106 posts
Likes Given: 9,338
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Worthing, UK
Allan - yes that can happen with the curved lane changers (which haven't been produced for ages). On the in-to-out changers, the cars' guides will be pushed towards where the end of the flipper sits and can catch. Once you get a few high-speed collisions with the end of the flipper, the delicate point gets bent and that makes it worse.
A couple of things I've learned...
- Scalextric guides should be okay. I don't remember having any issues with an undamaged flipper.
- Non-Scalextric cars are more problematic, depending on the guide. Those with plenty sticking out the front (Slot.it 'Racing' guides, Scaleauto, Sloting+, Revoslot, Thunderslot etc) need the front cutting off or changed for a more standard guide (eg standard Slot.it CH10 or NSR)
- The Carrera guides are just way too long and it's the back that pushes the front into the flipper. I'd recommend using the BRM-126 guide blade on Carrera cars - but still reduce the width at the front and trim 5-10mm off the back if you're using curved lane changers.
- Sharpening the front of the guide too much makes it easier for the guide to dig out the flipper - so it's not always a solution. Reducing the width on an overly-wide guide (eg Carrera) will help.
- Don't place a curved lane changer (especially an in-to-out) at the end of a fast straight - it's just asking for damage.
I've not taken apart a curved lane changer, but I have the standard straight ones. If you do, I recommend taking a photo of each stage so you know how it goes back to together again. I'm pretty sure I didn't remove the flipper, so I can't help you there.
I presume to want to remove the flipper so you can repair damage at the tip?
(This post was last modified: 28th-Mar-21, 07:35 PM by
woodcote.)
•
Posts: 35
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 82 in 32 posts
Likes Given: 53
Joined: Mar 2020
Location Coastal West Sussex
hey up......
The flipper is held by a barbed pin,which is reluctant to release its self...
It will come out but getting a grip ontop of the pin usually ends in leaving plier marks on the pin head requiring a bit of a tidy up with a file...
Think your problem with cars guides hitting the tip of the changing blade can be improved...
In the slot ,just before the tip of the blade there should be a little side rail protrusion.
This little bump in the side of the metal rail deflects the front of the blade away from the tip of the changing blade..
Maybe increase the size of this little bump,by putting an appropriate sized screwdriver tip in from underneath between the rail side and plastic side and levering a slightly larger bump..