Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Making a windscreen
#1

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of making windscreens for vehicles?

I have a Scalextric truck that I've cut an aperture in for a windscreen and bought some 1mm perspex but I'd like, if possible, to fit into the hole so it's a little recessed around the edges and look 'fitted?'

Is it a case of being really careful with a hot air gun around the edges of the perspex and push fitting until I get the desired result or is there a process out there that I could to follow?

If I can get this right, I might be banging sunroofs in everything!!  Bigsmile Bigsmile
Quote
#2

I've done something similar(ish) before.

I simply marked and cut a piece of clear plastic to the shape of the aperture, and edge glued it in. It's a bit fiddly, and it's definitely not as securely fixed as a moulded lexan sheet with a big overhang to glue, but it can look more fitted if done competently.
[+] 1 member Likes JasonB's post
Quote
#3

A friend of mine makes canopies for his model aircraft. He takes a small piece of pine and sands it to the curve of the window. Then cuts up a Pepsi or Coke bottle because he umm... doesn't like to spend money. Then gently melts the plastic over the curved wood with a hot air gun on low. The wood mold is a bit bigger than the actual window so he can trim a clean edge exactly to the window.

It should not take much time to make a window mold. You can make a few windshields and use the best one.
[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post
Quote
#4

Check out videos on vacuum forming...
Quote
#5

This machine is worth every cent
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dental-Moldin...SwhOVXdNWp
Quote
#6

(12th-Dec-20, 08:34 AM)AlexisGaitanis Wrote:  This machine is worth every cent
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dental-Moldin...SwhOVXdNWp

Or..    Direct from the source
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Kevan
29th-Mar-22, 09:11 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)