Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
I was sitting, as one does, staring at all the bits on the bench. I needed a pinion to fit the usual pressed tin contrates in Revell cars and the like and my eye fell upon the object in the picture. I'm sure most people know that those 'orrid gears eat pinions for breakfast.
Not this one I suspect as it's a cutter for a Dremel but...it meshes perfectly with the contrates! Apart from the problem of having a large shaft I can see a use for this. In a front motored car with back axle bearings to support it! Probably a bit of flexible hose to join it to the motor and voila.
Who says I don't try and be helpful.
•
Posts: 24
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 8 in 5 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Apr 2019
Now it's the pinion's turn to eat the contrate!
Martin
•
Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
Only fair, retribution at last.
•
Posts: 24
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 8 in 5 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Apr 2019
The best reason to use nylon pinions.
Martin
•
Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
Not with the steel contrates I hope
Some of us only have retro and classic cars so use the original gears. I only keep a few modern cars so guests can destroy those and not my few precious remains.
•
Posts: 24
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 8 in 5 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Apr 2019
Surely a nylon pinion will survive longer on a steel contrate? I also used to file the sharp edges of the contrates, so they didn't cut so readily.
Martin
•
Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
I'd give it about ten seconds! The Revell contrates are orphans from the circular saw business. I know some pretty tough nylon is made but I would love to see one survive given the opposition!
Who knows? Maybe I should try it but it wouldn't count as original equipment I think.
•
Posts: 24
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 8 in 5 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Apr 2019
I'm sure nobody would object to the lack of originality of a nylon pinion if it meant you got some extra time with the car. I must admit I never had any problem with the original stuff. My Revel Cobra ran for years without trouble. My Dad recommended the use of toothpaste to run it in. Maybr that helped. But I have a slightly curved round edged Swiss file that works a treat on the edges of a contrate's teeth. Just a couple of strokes per gap will do it.
Martin
•
Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
I may try that however....... I am only using the gear for a joke car to take to Bordo (Bordeaux) in June. For any serious car with an inline motor, I use Taylormade or brass bevels. I'm still running some chassis with those after 50 years. Admittedly not continuous use but I'm sure they would last anyway.
I only run a few cars and swap chassis between bodies so I don't need many sets.
•
Posts: 24
Threads: 3
Likes Received: 8 in 5 posts
Likes Given: 0
Joined: Apr 2019
I have a couple of Taylormades and loads of bevels. I wish I could still get them. I love brass bevels.
Martin
•