Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So, this one is really driving me round the bend. So, who decreed that every single sentence has to be started with..."So"?

So, I had to turn off the radio the other day because a politician did it for ten minutes non stop in answer to every single question.

Hanging is too good for them.

So true Wrench
[+] 1 member Likes Fluff's post

I mean, I first became conscious of this on the (BBC) Paul Mayo Drivetime show but I think it is an Americanism.   Over the years, many words have become used as an opener - "Right",  "OK", "Well", ""Now" and such.  
So "so" is current but will soon be replaced - hopefully. Its just part of the evolving use of language that we have all been guilty of,  man.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

Dang - gonna have to increase my vocabulary now!!!!

It is so grammatically incorrect and so annoying. Apparently someone out there in PR land thought it was a good thing for the clients to use in presentations and when interviewed. Starting a sentence with "so" is supposedly 'positive' and shows the speaker 'means business', but when I hear it I know "so" is going to be followed not by the speaker's own words, but a statement provided by their organisation's PR department...

There is an even more annoying one than "SO" ........ which comes after the first "SO" ........ a heavily emphasized "AND" will always start the second sentence and several others that follow ....... Angry

So does this grind your gears?  AND is it on a regular basis?

Sorry Greg - couldn’t resist  Extinguishflame

[i]Slot cars are not life and death.  They are so much more than that[/i]  Cool
[+] 1 member Likes Mr Modifier's post

According to the Urban dictionary...

Quote:The first word of any answer given by a know-it-all douchebag, said to give the effect that they were already speaking when you asked your question or requested their opinion, in order to feign,superiority or to imply that they knew what you wanted to know before you inquired.

I don't mind it too much, sorry.

It's obviously supposed to be a linking word, a conjunction, so it obviously shouldn't be used at the start of what you're saying. "Well" would often be a better word, "used when pausing to consider one's next words, to mark the resumption or end of a conversation".

But there are much worse abuses of the beautiful English language.

For instance the lack of past tenses in verbs, such as "I text John yesterday". AAAAARRRRGH, no, you texted him. Or," I see this car last week". AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH, no you saw it.

And don't get me started on apostrophe's. Rofl

Get you started on apostrophe’s what exactly?  Or did you mean apostrophes?

[exits stage right]

[i]Slot cars are not life and death.  They are so much more than that[/i]  Cool

I strongly suspect and indeed, hope, that he was being facetious Thumbup