Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Flyslot Doran JE4 no magnets setup
#1

Just throwing this out there if anyone has already made these a good runner and can share here their tips and experience.

For some reason I really like the look of this car.  To me it looks like a fun car to race fast, but  I try not to use magnets with cars on my track to try and save the cars and scenery in case of a high speed deslot.  The trouble is, take the magnets out and it behaves so poorly.
[Image: normal_fly-doran-je4-1.jpg]
Standard without magnets on my track it will struggle to break 27s.  Best time I got was 26.959
It chatters and is so tail happy.  Added some weight to the back, 12g either side settled it a bit.  Chatter was gone but still tail happy.
Time with this setup was improved to 25.461
[Image: normal_fly-doran-je4-2jpg.jpg]

Did some searching, but the only tuning I could see for this car said that Flyslot rubber was not the best and to replace them. 
I had a setup that was close enough to knock out something quickly.  So poured myself a quick set of silicones and did a quick true up.
[Image: normal_fly-doran-je4-3.jpg]
Big jump up.  Now lap time is down to 20.944

I  am sure I can still improve with this tire.  As it is now it is still thicker than the original and can be cutdown some more - should improve pickup reducing the rotating mass of the tires.

Would like to see this under 20 seconds a lap.  Anyone else have experience removing the mags from Flyslot and making it run well?

My DIY projects and failures at  https://dazee-projects.blogspot.com/ 
Various projects and videos at https://www.youtube.com/@DaleChan-nel
Quote
#2

Getting closer.  Took a bit more time and made a better tire closer to correct size.  Removing that rotating mass does make a difference.  Left side is the first casting and right side is the new tire.
[Image: doranb4after.jpg]
Now fairly consistent around 20.4s laps with a best of 20.122
I think improvement now would come from a little work on the motor or a replacement motor.  Not convinced this one is running 100% correctly.

My DIY projects and failures at  https://dazee-projects.blogspot.com/ 
Various projects and videos at https://www.youtube.com/@DaleChan-nel
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)