Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I have been playing with Tinkercad ... would this print OK ?

So I thought I would have a play see how I get on with 3DP software, and was toying with a loco chassis idea.
I have some overhangs and the oval cut-outs, would these cause and print issues ?

Presumably car and loco chassis best printed using a PETG rather than PLA for better durability ?
No I haven't bought anything, just thought I would have a play  Tease

Hi, quick look at the pic, and the round holes and angled side overhangs should be no problem. The large ovals might end up with sag towards the middle of the red highlighted areas depending on the printer fan cooling operation and setting. Some printers have weak cooling fans as standard so will not freeze off the filament fast enough to avoid sag.

Several solutions, have the parts printed by one of the professional services and they can add support as required, for home printers ensure the printer is up to scratch by a doing a test piece i.e. the oval section on its own, or put a support in the oval which can be removed afterwards to hold up the centre.

Supports can be programmed in by the ‘Slicer’ software or added manually. One technique is to fill in the oval with a thin 0.4mm thick oval which is 0.1mm smaller than the oval perimeter so it will remove easily. Can’t tell from the pic how thick the section is so may need more than one oval spaced out @2mm apart.

Depending on the size of the print and how stressed it is going to be in use then there is a range of filaments that would work i.e. PLA +, PETG, or carbon fibre loaded versions of these two.

Have fun, be careful it gets very addictive.

Cheers
John

Mr Fit for Function.
[+] 1 member Likes JMay's post

Thanks  Thumbup
That support is 2.5mm thick, oval is 10.5 x 7mm TBH I could add a permanent support post if its likely to be an issue, as its just a cooling vent for the motor.
The lower holes are 3mm, but likely will be opened out for bushings.

As long as you set 'supports everywhere' the holes should print fine, you'll just need to remove the supports to get a clean hole which is easy peasy as supports are only lightly fixed to the print.

Why does a loco need to be durable, it's not going to be raced or face walls flat out.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers

Ill have to see if I have a supports everywhere setting on the slicer (d/l the creality one to try).
Durable because thats the way I like to roll  Bigsmile
[+] 1 member Likes Savage GT's post

Since getting a Prusa I've only used Prusa slicer although I couldn't get used to it before I got a Prusa but wouldn't go back to any other slicer now.

Ok, it must be fate.
A windfall arrived today, and having played with some software and feeling positive, I thought I would look for something.
Amazon had a flash sale on, and a further 10% off an Ender 3 V2 Neo, and a months free prime ... how could I refuse !  Rofl Sun Wrench
Added 1kg of Hatchbox PLA and 1kg of Overture PETG to keep me going for a bit !
[+] 2 members Like Savage GT's post

To continue your day have a look on 3Dexport.com some very nice bodyshells for under a tenner and a 50% off sale for another 6 hours ish.

Cheers
             John

Mr Fit for Function.
[+] 1 member Likes JMay's post

Don't think bodyshells is a way to go for me, to much prep required with lines !
Good site though .. I found this and got interested until I realised its not a printable object Punch
abbey in ruins monastery 3D Model in Fantasy 3DExport

Yes you need to make sure there's .stl files available

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrFlippant
13th-Aug-22, 10:05 PM
Last Post by AlexisGaitanis
14th-Mar-20, 09:01 PM