Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Magnetic Downforce Scale Apparatus

Magnetic Downforce Scale Apparatus

Inspired by several similar devices made by others using other materials (wood, metal, etc), and attempting to simplify and democratize the design and construction of a basic device to compare magnetic downforce between multiple cars, I've designed this model and provided the Fusion 360 file for quick and easy manipulation to accommodate different types of rails (from track as shown, or just bar steel if you want) as well as different scales. By just changing the parameters in the Fusion 360 file, this design can be easily adjusted for any combination of those things, and then printed out and put to use in a single day of printing.

The files are free to download at the link below, which also includes additional detail on design and construction. If you already have a Magnet Marshal, then you certainly don't need this. But if you've wanted one without spending nearly so much, this might be for you.

https://www.printables.com/model/280855-...-apparatus

[+] 7 members Like MrFlippant's post

Have you moved to prusa to host your files instead of thiniverse?

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

printables.com, yes. They changed the name to make it clear it's not Prusa specific (though it never was).
Thingiverse is chock full of problems with things only getting worse, and Printables.com keeps getting better.
I no longer waste time putting things on Thingiverse.
[+] 1 member Likes MrFlippant's post

Cheers Greg, thanks for developing this and sharing the files. Saw it on the W-W Chat and was surprised by some of the response.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

(23rd-Sep-22, 03:25 PM)MrFlippant Wrote:  printables.com, yes. They changed the name to make it clear it's not Prusa specific (though it never was).
Thingiverse is chock full of problems with things only getting worse, and Printables.com keeps getting better.
I no longer waste time putting things on Thingiverse.

Yes, a much higher level of respect than thingi.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post

(23rd-Sep-22, 05:15 PM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  Cheers Greg, thanks for developing this and sharing the files. Saw it on the W-W Chat and was surprised by some of the response.

Leo

Well, most people were understanding of the device's purpose AND it's limitations, and still voiced their appreciation. This ratio holds true with the rest of the internet, where most people think it's great, but a few choose to question its usefulness.

I updated my design to include a way to adjust the height of the rails in order to "calibrate" to another scale. The models provided are for Scalextric Sport track rails and a 30mm tall scale. If you have a scale of a different height and/or want to use different rails, you can edit the parameters in the included Fusion 360 file, or PM me to adjust the models for you.

https://www.printables.com/model/286374-...adjustable