Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

VW splitscreen converted to Crewcab sign truck

Well I've been lurking for a little bit and thought I'd try and contribute to the community.                                         
I'm having a go at making myself a sign truck for my collection which only exists of Moto GP bikes at the moment but the bug has already kicked in and I've got other vehicles planned already.
I have this little 1/32 Kinsmart toy which you pull back and it shoots off.
I know there is nice kits on Pendle's but I will be spending loads there in the near future and fancied trying to make this work.
I cut the roof just behind the side door and saved the back window best I could.

I then roughly glued it, the back of the van is obviously different to the middle so it'll need a bit of tweaking.

Then had my first crack at Milliput, this stuff is great.

After some sanding, I'm quite happy how it has worked out so far.

I'm just waiting for a underpan with axle's and some old wheels plus it's motor to be delivered from seconhand-scalextric shop, royal mail seems to be quite random at the moment. We haven't seen our postie since last Friday.

I will eventually change the tyre's/wheels either Pendles VW ones or I quite like old wire wheels they have.
The plan is to make a wooden deck on the back and some sort of racking to tie an old wooden ladder to.
The front bumper is missing (it was one of my sons toys Bigsmile ) and the back is broken so I need to hunt round the charity shops for donner or there is some on ebay, but the ones I've seen postage is silly for something I'll be chopping.
I've already got ideas of how I want to signwrite it, parts of it might be by hand but I'm definitely going to be using Colin's decal skills at C & C Designs Slot Cars.

I can't really do much more until the chassis comes, I'm itching to crack on.
Hopefully it doesn't need too much tweaking, if it does I will buy a adjustable chassis kit from Pendle and use the second hand one on something else.

Any advice is more than welcome if you can see I'm heading towards a problem of it actually working on the track.

Cheers Tony
[+] 3 members Like Tibbs's post

That's cool Tony  Thumbup

Good fun doing these, especially if they work! 
I like having a go with this type of model. I have some Majorette 1:32 scale Hot Rods lined up ready for exactly the same treatment. 

Fully agree with your views on Milliput.  Couldn't believe how good it was,  and simple to use.

Keep us posted with your progress....

Pip
[+] 1 member Likes Gpa113's post

Fingers crossed it works out.

Id love to see the hotrods your planning.

Looks like you're off to a great start.  Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post
Wink 

(12th-Jan-22, 11:46 PM)KensRedZed Wrote:  Looks like you're off to a great start.  Thumbup

Thanks Ken Thumbup

Well, my chassis and motor turned up which was great.
It is from a VW Beetle so I new I'd have to cut and tuck it here and there but not much.
Mainly the front section, just removed a little bit of material.
I've had to chop a bit around the wheel arches from my shell to accommodate the tyres, the back wheel arches need some milliput added because the wheelbase was slightly different.

I couldn't resist, so I threw a quick track up to see if it worked so far.
Over the moon that it does and that there's a little light in it.
I definitely need to do something about the tread as it was spinning heaps, but the tyres are old and shinny.
If anyone can give me a tip on getting a little bit of life out of these ones I'd appreciate it.
I gave them a light sand but didn't want to deform them. 
I tried to add a quick video but it wouldn't let me, any tips on that?
Ill be sorting the lights out next and some filler on the shell.
Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It looks a bit heavy in the front end, and a bit light in the back. Some weight over the rear tires would help with traction. New tires really helps.

It's almost expected to open the wheel arches to fit a new chassis. Kit-bashing is a bit of an art these days.

Is your video a link to Youtube?

(14th-Jan-22, 02:47 AM)KensRedZed Wrote:  It looks a bit heavy in the front end, and a bit light in the back. Some weight over the rear tires would help with traction. New tires really helps.

It's almost expected to open the wheel arches to fit a new chassis. Kit-bashing is a bit of an art these days.

Is your video a link to Youtube?

Thank you re weights, that makes sense as the cab is cast and the bottom is plastic and all the weight is at the front. Yes
I'll look into what you can add re weights.

The video was just straight off my phone, so you need to put it on Youtube to be able to share?

(11th-Jan-22, 08:13 PM)Gpa113 Wrote:  That's cool Tony  Thumbup

Good fun doing these, especially if they work! 
I like having a go with this type of model. I have some Majorette 1:32 scale Hot Rods lined up ready for exactly the same treatment. 

Fully agree with your views on Milliput.  Couldn't believe how good it was,  and simple to use.

Keep us posted with your progress....

Pip

Thanks alot Pip.
It is loads of fun and I'm getting away with using a dremel inside with the boss not kicking me out to the cold garage yet. (Haha)
Love to see your Hot rods when they're underway.
I'm enjoying working out things from mistakes straight away, but that's part of the fun I suppose.

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tibbs,

Videos require lots of memory. A link doesn't.

One of my best handliing slot cars has 65% of the weight on the rear tires. Adding weight to the back will help traction, but hurt acceleration. Add a little at a time until it's just right.

Cheers,
Ken