Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Slot.it Alfa Romeo 155 V6 Ti - JAS Motorsport - ITC Mugello 1996

Slot.it CA45b Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI #18 Martini - ITC Mugello 1996 - Gabriele Tarquini. RRP £64.95. Available now

The Slot.it Alfa 155s are great cars, but this livery is utterly sensational. This isn't a works Alfa Corse Martini car - those were white in 1996 - but a private entry by newcomers JAS Motorsport. JAS would soon become touring car and rally legends with a long line of Honda Civics. Of course, red Martini liveries had graced Italian cars in the past - most notably the WRC Lancia Delta Integrales - and it is a very pleasing combination. Like the recent Alfa 33/3 historic racer, this Slot.it livery sends shivers down my spine with the depth and glow of that red and the deep shine of the finish...

The Alfa Romeo 155 V6 TI needs little introduction - it was a car that muscled into the DTM/ITC arena in the mid-90s and took on the German manufacturers. Nicola Larini was the star man, winning the 1993 DTM title and notching up 17 DTM/ITC victories with the 155 V6 Ti. Slot.it have already released a collector's edition model of Larini's 1993 championship-winning car, plus his Martini-sponsored car from 1995. But this one is all about Gabriele Tarquini - a touring car legend in his own right...

Tarquini had won the 1994 British Touring Car Championship with the Alfa 155 GTA and was hired by JAS Motorsport for their first season of racing. With works support, they entered four cars into the ITC (as the DTM was branded that year). Two of the cars - for Tarquini and Stefano Modena - wore the red Martini livery, with the third car in orange Jägermeiſter colours and the fourth in a white Bosch-sponsored scheme. The Bosch car - driven by Jason Watt at Silverstone - is also available as a Slot.it model. Over their debut season, JAS finished on the podium seven times, with Tarquini taking victory in Race Two at Silverstone.

For Alfa's home round at Mugello, Tarquini qualified sixth - best of the JAS drivers - but could only manage thirteenth place in Race One. He bounced back to finish sixth in Race Two - the only JAS driver to score points that weekend. This is a photo of Tarquini's car from Mugello 1996...

The other picture is of the car in the hands of its subsequent owner, Marco Gramenzi - who built on the car's fame in Italy with hundreds of appearances and victories in 'cronoscalata' or time-trials and hill-climbs...

This isn't the only ex-DTM Alfa 155 to find a second career in hill climbs and time trials. And it wouldn't take much to update the new Slot.it model to Gramenzi's car.

Inside is the usual Slot.it Classic DTM layout with the 21k inline S-Can motor, 9:28 gearing and aluminium rear hubs. The new cabling allows easy conversion to digital. Of course, slot racers using their heads will probably choose a Calibra or Skyline for club racing - but Alfisti usually go with their hearts and this is a livery that just shouts "buy me!"

This ravishing red Martini Alfa 155 V6 Ti is available now from all your usual Slot retailers.

[+] 2 members Like woodcote's post

Another stunner from Slot.it  Thumbup

I have a white Martini version and it goes very nicely, I substituted the stock wheels with 17.3mm ones to better represent the original car size, put some weight in and swapped the rear tyres for something suitable for my track. I did likewise with its Merc 190 racing partner.

I would be tempted to pick this up had I not already been very naughty latley !
[+] 3 members Like Savage GT's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by woodcote
21st-Aug-20, 11:04 AM