Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lint Roller Track Cleaner

Because of the size and location of my track I have been looking for an easier way to clean it before a race. I would normally hop up, crawl around and wipe and vacuum it before a race. This was a pain and time consuming. Plus several pieces of track have been broken in the process of cleaning it.

So here is my latest creation!

"The Steam Roller" as named by BARacer

I made a track cleaner from a lint roller that has been cut in half and mounted on a pivoting axle. This is 3d printed except for the hardware and electronics. I designed a 12:1 gear reduction to slow it down and keep from burning up the motor. I tried a version that a car could push but it grips the track so well that a 1/24th car at slow speed was pulling slightly over 1 amp and really heating up the motor. All joints and axles are ball bearing The lint rollers can move up and down independently of the frame and also each roller can tilt to stay in contact with the track. I added a slot cleaner on the front of the vehicle. This is a printed keel covered with a piece of microfiber towel to clean the slot. Overall I am very satisfied with the cleaner, It does an excellent job of cleaning the track. We run silicones on our cars so can instantly tell if the track is dirty or not. 

Hope you enjoy,
Kevin

[+] 2 members Like Krpepe's post

Brilliant!!!
[+] 1 member Likes JasonB's post

(3rd-Apr-21, 12:12 AM)JasonB Wrote:  Brilliant!!!

Thank you!

Every time I see someone showing one of these, I wonder why a manufacturer has not produced one. (I know there was a small manufacturer who did offer one but it vanished quickly)

The IKEA lint-rollers are a global product these days so one based on those would be quite popular.
If I recall correctly, the offered unit could automatically run on batteries or track-power to cover situations where the track is really dusty/dirty.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Fantastic invention.  Thumbup
[+] 1 member Likes KensRedZed's post

(3rd-Apr-21, 04:00 PM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  Every time I see someone showing one of these, I wonder why a manufacturer has not produced one. (I know there was a small manufacturer who did offer one but it vanished quickly)

The IKEA lint-rollers are a global product these days so one based on those would be quite popular.
If I recall correctly, the offered unit could automatically run on batteries or track-power to cover situations where the track is really dusty/dirty.

Leo
Leo,

I actually have a design to use the ikea lint rollers and would gladly consider selling this. The main problem that I see is cost. The big costs in US dollars are tires 15.00, motor 20.00, control board for digital vehicles 30 -50, bearings 10.00 hardened shaft 10.00 . The prices I am listing include shipping and tax. If it is for a digital track that puts you at 95.00 before you even add some margin on it. This also doesn't account for filament, electricity, or assembly time. I would also be worried that anyone buying something wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on something 3D printed.  I personally would love to sell these but in my opinion I don't think I would be able to make any money at it. Unfortunately it is a niche market, and would most likely be priced out of most peoples budget in an already small market. Please don't take this as me being negative towards you, because I am not. I am just stating what I see as road blocks. I'm open to reasonable suggestions.

Kevin
[+] 1 member Likes Krpepe's post

(3rd-Apr-21, 05:50 PM)KensRedZed Wrote:  Fantastic invention.  Thumbup

Thank you!!

Great idea! I’m already thinking about a way to transfer this idea to H0-scale. Maybe by combining two chassis...
[+] 1 member Likes Bon_Slott's post

(3rd-Apr-21, 08:53 PM)Bon_Slott Wrote:  Great idea! I’m already thinking about a way to transfer this idea to H0-scale. Maybe by combining two chassis...

Thank you and good luck!!

(3rd-Apr-21, 08:38 PM)Krpepe Wrote:  
(3rd-Apr-21, 04:00 PM)Scuderia_Turini Wrote:  Every time I see someone showing one of these, I wonder why a manufacturer has not produced one. (I know there was a small manufacturer who did offer one but it vanished quickly)

Leo
Leo,

I actually have a design to use the ikea lint rollers and would gladly consider selling this. The main problem that I see is cost.

Kevin

Kevin,
Instead of thinking in terms of selling complete units, why not look at alternatives?
You could sell the 3d parts only and leave everything else to the buyer. 
I don't know any slotters who don't have a box full of of tyres and motors. 

Or
List the design on shapeways? 
Alan W
[+] 2 members Like Nonfractal's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Scuderia_Turini
14th-Apr-19, 10:45 PM