Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Get Your Chips fixed here

Just a reminder not to bin your smoked chips - send them to me and I'll fix them for you better than new ........   Wrench
[+] 3 members Like GregK's post

I'm not a digital racer, but I've only ever heard good things about the magical electrickery that you perform.

Presumably people can contact by PM to arrange the details and payment?

Indeed Jason, if anyone needs a a chip fixing just send me a PM.

Prices start at £5 per chip plus postage ........ what is there not to like?? Cool
[+] 1 member Likes GregK's post

Here we go ..........

This is one of the most enthusiastic FB1s that I have ever seen on  a Scalextric chip ......getting to stand to attention is a neat trick .....

A bit of a run-of-the-mill NO2 MOSFET cheeky little blow ....

This FB1 has had an  attack of the munchies - most unusual ....

Oh dear, yet another of the re-vamped C8515s ....... again another blown MOSFET .....

Any ideas why the new chips are blowing Greg?  On the face of it they are suppose to be more robust and presumably capable of handling some Slot.It upgrade motors.  Do you know what they were running when they blew - just so we know what limits to stay under?

By the way folks - I regularly get Greg to uprate chips for myself and my club mates and his work is well worth the investment - we run up to 25k King Evos with 350gcm and there are no chip issues at all.
[+] 1 member Likes Mr Modifier's post

Hi Richard,
Thank you for your kind words .... Drink      (the cheque is in the post Thumbup )

To date, I have now received five of these new versions for repairs. Four have been down to blown FETs and one was the large yellow tantalum capacitor C4.

This particular one appears to have been caused by a gear meshing problem. This was only identified by slowly turning the back wheel slowly whence a firm click was felt. Reversing the movement revealed that it was just one tooth catching. Therefore, we must look at the near motor-stall speed of the car as any small fault will be magnified.

On a more general view, part of the problem is that the FETs are only a bit more robust than previous incarnations used by Scaley. That in itself is not a bad thing but with the tendency to miniaturise components and reduce the size of the copper track on which they are fixed down, collateral damage is more likely.
Wink 

It wasn't that long ago that the new all singing and dancing C-Type O2 chip arrived on the scene ........ and it wasn't long before one came my way.

The ferrite bead has taken a bit of a thermal belt and re-orientated itself .......

a closer look at the bead shows more than just a simple dislodging ....

the replacement is now sitting squarely in place ....

As I have no means for testing my work on that O2 chip ............   I had to wait for it's owner to let me know if I did indeed fix it.

Good news    ...............    I did ....   Wrench Wrench

Well blow my chips ......... another C-Type has just arrived for fixing

This could be fun ......   Cool

Another C-Type chip arrived for repair .......

The visible integrated circuit (IC) is a dual MOSFET which can handle high levels of current and controls the braking and running of the car ....

The kapton tape shield has been peeled back to reveal hot-glue that must be carefully unpicked before any remedial work can start ....

The IC is now replaced and the chip is ready to resume it role and purpose in life ....