Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any good E Type Jags?

Am looking to buy some E Types but not with those b@=#>! wing mirrors on! Also the Scalextric models (like many of their cars) seem a bit long and thin (maybe to do with the track's minimal lane width?). I think the Revell ones may be better. Many years back I had a very chunky fastback model but don't know who manufactured it (may have been an old Revell/Monogtram). I'm asking here because there are no slot shows to go to in order to examine and make comparisons.

I have heard that the current Scalextric versions aren't very good without the magnet, but in any case I don't like the long, skinny look! If you've any experience of E Type slots could you share them here? Photos would be a bonus. Thanks!

I read that the Scalextric E-type body shape is based on a 3D scan of a real car, so is a truer representation of the body shape than other slotified interpretations.

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BourneAgainRacer's post

Most E type slot cars look far too wide to me. The real car is pretty long and narrow. The original Airfix plastic kit is accurate and what I would use to compare any other 32nd scale car with.

[+] 1 member Likes Gordon Steadman's post

Ninco Jaguar is very nice.
The FHC version is my favourite.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

Thanks for the replies. The Ninco model looks great, although it's those wing mirrors again! I used to have an old Airfix model...today would probably cost me £75+ for one in average cond.

So the Scalextric car is supposely accurate? Okay. Isn't a downside that the chassis holds parts of the body? And maybe without the magnet drives like a camel with three legs.

This is an old Revell version from the 60's. However the body's sides have to be glued on - and that is tricky to get a good alignment.

The newer revel Jags - both the Lindner and the Le Mans versions are very nice, however they can be pricey now.

[+] 2 members Like abie321's post

George Turner does three versions - a Lightweight, a fastback and the 1962 Cunningham Le Mans car. George’s cars are well-proportioned - meaning not skinny - and no wing mirrors.
[+] 1 member Likes woodcote's post

See the thing is that in the E-Type's hey day, those mirrors were chic so were almost a standard fitment as they went with the image.
I have the Italian Job Jaguar roadster by Scalextric and can confirm that it needs its magnet but can probably be made to run well with some careful placement of weights. I also have the Fixed Head Coupe by Altaya and it runs well although would need a motor upgrade to be a racer.
If you want to be able to seriously race E-Types then I would suggest that a George Turner body kit would be good if you put it on decent running gear.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

I have a couple of each. The Ninco handle the best of the group. In the photos the red and black are Nincos, the blue one is a Monogram. you can see how it sits a bit higher than the Black Ninco. I also have a Scalextric but even after extensive tuning it is nowhere near the other cars.
  I also have two early Scalextrics there are rear motored. they run decent but as they have the old SCX type motor they are not very fast, but great looking cars.
I also have another Monogram with a 3D printed chassis and a Slot It pod. It does run very well, but that is not what you were asking about.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[+] 3 members Like Mitch58's post

Probably a bit late posting here but better late than never I suppose.

As mentioned previously the E type was a comparatively long narrow car. The body also bulges out along the centre line which means that track is considerably narrower than the overall body width. My only experience is racing on wood tracks and everyone I know who has tried to race a ready to run E Type on a wood track has not had much luck with getting it to go well mainly because of the narrow rear track.

If you want to run on a wood track George Turner's kits would be your best option. If you scale all the dimensions of any car exactly the model doesn't look right so George does tend to make his cars a bit wider than scale to improve the look and this will also improve the handling.

Of course if you are racing on plastic track it could be that some of the ready to run models work OK particularly if you are using magnets but it does depend on your expectations and I suspect that non-magnet one of George's kits built carefully would still be faster than any of the ready to run cars.
[+] 1 member Likes autoavia's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post