Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scaleauto Home Series BMW M1

Found a surprising but obscure issue with mine when it came to 'magless' track time.

The performance was disappointing even taking into account the fact it was a more simple 'Home Series' car. 

Reviews seemed to point at it being not too far off the pace of the full race version but mine was sluggish, 'front end hopped' around corners and cornering was quite unpredictable, with varying degrees of breakaway even at a steady throttle. 

Trying various different tyres didn't make much difference but it was when finally replacing the originals that I noticed - the back end of the interior tray wasn't fixed in place.

Effectively it was hinged from the front fixing points and moved up and down at the rear. At rest it looked ok but when moving rubbed on the tyres to varying degrees depending on acceleration, braking and cornering. 

Removing it was a bit of a fiddle as it looked like the interior was installed before the rear rolled pan/bumper was fixed in place but it was possible to ease it out, clean up the mounting points and reinstall it after a liberal dose of GS Hypo cement on all four corners. I left it for most of the afternoon to set, before reassembling the car and giving it a quick run - and boy was it quick, even with the standard tyres.

Still had the front end hop though, which turned out to be a jamming guide flag. It's sprung loaded but would stick at the top of its travel, before suddenly releasing. This was happening several times in quick succesion in a corner, accounting for the hop. For now I've just oiled the shaft and spring but will need to either remove the spring or replace the whole thing at some point. However, so far I've had no luck removing the flag.

Snip of the flag top and replace with a screw in item, Pendles have what you need ; Link
Thats assuming 7mm isn't too deep for your track ...

When you get it sorted, you may get a surprise.

I set up a Home Series 911, and it was quicker on all sizes of wood track than many of my fully tuned podded cars, both the nice SW handling, and the HS motor is supposedly 20k, but seems very quick, with plenty of brakes. (Must put it on the NC rev counter one day ...)

It certainly is VERY quick. Ive not timed any laps but it certainly feels quicker than some of the ScaleAuto race chassis cars I have - and definitely quicker than its sister race series car, which I comprehensively 'improved worse' yesterday  Tappingfoot

I guess that'll be partly down to the simpler chassis making the home series car quite a bit lighter. (Thinks. Must weigh them both.)

(19th-May-20, 05:15 AM)Top Down Wrote:  It certainly is VERY quick. Ive not timed any laps but it certainly feels quicker than some of the ScaleAuto race chassis cars I have - and definitely quicker than its sister race series car, which I comprehensively 'improved worse' yesterday  Tappingfoot

I guess that'll be partly down to the simpler chassis making the home series car quite a bit lighter. (Thinks. Must weigh them both.)

Nope, I have mine weighted, and it has less power than the big boxer angle-winder in the race series anyway - a little over half the actual wattage.
But a sidewinder in a fixed chassis, if set up well, can be as quick as a podded sidewinder car on a smooth track.
And they are simply very tractable. You can get the power down quickly out of a corner.
I did a review and tune article on the ScaleAuto 991 HS and Race series here a while back. Maybe worth a read for tuning tips.
https://slotracer.online/community/showt...p?tid=1038
[+] 1 member Likes slotloco's post