Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What to do? It's a matter of a pinion.

I really like the MSC 4WD range of cars and having bought a Metro in the PSR 'Sale' section I jumped on a black 959 when it too was reduced. This was back in late Jan/early Feb, ready for a 'Porsche Night' at the club, which ironically never happened due to the Covid Lockdown.

From Day One it's been a lemon, a Monday morning/Friday afternoon car. The most obvious problem was no drive belt. There was another minor issue I forget but both were sorted within 24hrs by PSR's excellent customer service. However, the edge had been taken off the car and it was boxed up and put on the shelf - until this weekend.

Compared to the other MSC cars the performance has been disappointing, varying from 'almost as good as', to pathetic. It took a lot of tracking down but to cut a long story short 'it's a matter of a pinion'. It's slipping. 

I don't feel I can return it after all this time so what is the best fix? Superglue? The pinion can be slid right up against the motor and superglue applied to the motor shaft before reengaging the crown and pinion, so no danger of gluing up the motor. Replace the pinion, with a grub screwed item, if I have one? Remove the existing pinion and savage the shaft (it's smooth, with a brass pinion) then press the pinion back on, or ....?

I don't know what material the original pinion is but my choice would be to fit a new brass pinion.

Brass, I'll have a root through my spares box for a match then.

but dont savage the shaft.....solder it, loctite it, superglue it...... but dont savage it.

OK, ok! I get it. Bigsmile 
Was just feeling a bit savage myself, when I first discovered the problem!  Tappingfoot
New car, smooth armature shaft, slipping pinion. Grr!

Oh - and of course, having spare Covid Lockdown time I've tidied up - and now I can't find anything  Rofl

Might be a day or two before it gets fixed now.

Loctite 638. If you ever have a slipping pinion again, you are doing something wrong.

I would take brass over plastic every day.
[+] 1 member Likes Gordon Steadman's post

(6th-May-20, 06:17 AM)Top Down Wrote:  I don't feel I can return it after all this time so what is the best fix? Superglue? The pinion can be slid right up against the motor and superglue applied to the motor shaft before reengaging the crown and pinion, so no danger of gluing up the motor. Replace the pinion, with a grub screwed item, if I have one? Remove the existing pinion and savage the shaft (it's smooth, with a brass pinion) then press the pinion back on, or ....?

There is always a risk of seizing the motor bushing if you apply glue to the motor shaft,......so,.....a tip,......put a drop of glue into the pinion bore (not the motor shaft),...this way the glue will move away from the motor bushing as the pinion is installed. With the close tolerance between the pinion bore and the motor shaft, there will be plenty of glue to securely affix the pinion. If you are really worried, once you have positioned the pinion, you can apply a tiny drop of glue (with a toothpick) to the pinion/motor shaft interface (away from the motor bushing).........I have done this countless times with no issues.

This procedure can also be used for re gluing plastic wheels.......put the glue into the wheel hole, not the axle.

While you can use superglue, most of these have very low shear strength, and, are, therefore not ideal..........some permanent "Threadlocker" (Locktite/Permatex etc.) will do a much better job....stronger, very good shear strength, and easy to remove/loosen by touching a hot soldering iron the the join,........plus,......no glued fingers  Rofl.

Stay Safe

Chris Walker

If I'm in doubt about getting glue onto the motor, I slip a piece of paper of the shaft before pushing the pinion on. Always tears off OK and I haven't had one stick yet.

Use a cocktail stick or the tip of a small screwdriver to aply then glue. Squirt glue onto a piece of card or scrap and dip the tip in it to gather glue.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com