Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NSR 86-89 Formula 1

NSR 86-89 Formula 1

NSR are best known for high quality Modern-GT & Classic-GT cars.
Founded by the late Salvatori Noviello, NSR have been manufacturing for about 15 years.
Design and manufacture has been based in the NSR factory in Salerno, Italy since 2010.

Starting up as a performance parts manufacturer, NSR went on to create the notorious NSR Mosler MT900R, a car that still is hard to better in the Anglewinder Sportscar class despite its age (about 15 years)

Since the death of Salvatori and the departure of chief designer, Giovanni Montiglio, NSRs fortunes have been mixed.
There was a period where many thought that NSR had lost their Mojo.
Then came the Corvette C7R and the Mercedes GT3. Both top performing cars. NSR were back!

Given the background of NSR's catalogue, a move to produce an open wheel racer might surprise some.
However, a quality built, long can inline suspension pod car has become a rarity at retailers over the last 18 months.
The top car in this class has been the AllSlotCar generic F1, produced in Turin by Ostorero.
It seems that Ortorero took a strategic decision to focus on their beautiful and detailed historic models and cease production of the AllSlotCar.
The AllSlotCar cars and parts became harder and harder to find during late 2018.
By 2019 the remaining painted bodies in retailer stock were looking quite badly out of date and spare wings were impossible to source.

I've always thought that the AllSlotCar had a whiff of NSR design about it.
Performance prioritised over historical detail and the use of UNC4-40 set-screws show a certain alignment of thought.

NSR clearly saw a gap opening in the market and moved very quickly to exploit it, leveraging their in house design and manufacture to get this car to market very quickly.
The NSR 86-89 model harks back to a period when many cars did indeed look very similar.
With a paint job and with some decal work, this NSR 86-89 can be a reasonable approximation to most of the cars of that period.

The Tech and Dimensions

Chassis 1.2mm thick black resin showing the NSR logo, "made in Italy" and " formula 86-89"
Rear wheels : NSR air hub 13mm wide
Rear tyre diameter (when fitted) 19.6mm
Rear outer axle width 67mm
Rear Axle tubes (factory fit alternatives to stoppers) 9.5mm fitted between wheel and bearing.

Front axle outer width 68mm
Front axle spacer : 2mm on each side.
Front tyres 9.5mm wide, 19mm diameter.
Motor NSR King 21k rpm, 350 G/Cm "purple wrap" fitted with 2xNSR4851 screws.
NSR 7010-10 tooth "easy" pinion.
NSR 6327AL 27 tooth black crown , Alloy as a factory fit !
Crown is factory fitted LHD , the motor is factory fit to run anti clockwise as per NSRs anglewinder cars
Gearing ratio. 2.7
Final gearing : 22.8mm per motor revolution.
Guide length 94.5mm (guide hole centre to rear axle centre)
Weight : 75g of which the body is 10.55g (without screws)
Wiring: NSR4823 white
Eyelets NSR4821
Guide : Factory push fit guide. Blade 5.8mm deep, 16.4mm long
Braids. 0.2mm copper race braids (not tinned)
Red (hard) Motor pod, inline long can, 5 suspension points.
No suspension is provided on the factory-fit car.
Pod mounted with screws in the front 3 mount points only.
Ride height : 0.7mm out of the box.
The chassis has a front spoiler protection as part of the design.
The Body attaches to the chassis with two screws.
There are set-screw fitting holes to level the front wing and chassis.

Initial bench testing.

How does NSR's proud "ready to race" motto hold up? Quite well as it turns out.
The only build problem was a slightly loose rear wheel.
The car is built with a lot of race-float on the pod and the body.
The magnet and its plastic cover were removed before testing.
In Rolling-Road testing, the car ran straight out of the box.
Bench testing on the rolling road indicates 7.4 MPS at 12V which is the expected number for the motor, ratio and tyre size..

Inspection on the setup plate showed the ride height to be lower than expected at 0.7mm
The track facing motor wrap was razored off to prevent it scraping the track in the next stage of testing.

The setup plate showed that the front wheels were lying uncontrolled and heavy on the plate so fitting the enclosed set screws was the next step.
Opening the set screw pack, there was a surprise:
2xUNC4-40 screws as per every other NSR car
and
4x0.9mm set screws.
0.9mm on an NSR? Did I miss a meeting?? I've never seen 0.9m on an NSR.
As it turns out, the 0.9mm set screws appear to be for the upper and lower front axle adjustment.

When fitting these screws, during the first 5mm of travel, the screws will slide right in.
Only when the screws get closer to the axle do they bind and cut so that they can be screwed in.
Be aware that some drivers will not fit through the chassis' hole to drive the set screws.
My " Sloting+ " driver was certainly a very tight fit.

On the track.

1. Ninco.
NascotWood Slot Car Club - Herts, Watford
Apart from fitting the set screws and magnet removal, no upgrades or adjustments were made.
Started quite carefully, then ramped up the attack during a three minute practice session.
The car aquitted itself quite well showing no bad behaviours.
There was a sluggish feel to the car but I will put this down to the evening's racing class being "sportscar", a grid full of lightweight NSR Moslers with 25KRPM motors. Consequently the controller was at sportscar settings and so was my brain.
Clearly there is potential in this car. Lots of it.

2. Scalextric sport (polyurethane coated)
LSCC Wood Green, Haringey, London.
The club mandates Urethane rear tyres.
The car was fitted with Urethane tyres on "NSR F1" wheels. A pair of wheels bought about two years ago with trued and glued NSR Ultras.
The tyres were burned long ago (when they were fitted to an AllSlotCar for the 2018 season) and urethanes were fitted, trued and glued for club racing at WoodGreen at the same diameter as the factory fitted tyres in the spec above.
Axle stoppers replaced the axle tubes to bring the axle width out to 68mm while retaining control over the spindle to contrate boss faces.
Right off the start line, the car was stable, predictable and quick.
In practise, against the cars that were running that night (slot.it group c) the car was really showing its pedigree.
There were 4 other new 86-89s at the track being tested This trend is growing quickly.
Remembering how the race class of the night can colour my perceptions of a car, I recalibrated the controller and brain by running a few laps with the AllSlotCar.

Perceptions from the comparison:
The NSR seems nippier through the tighter corners, the AllSlot smoother and faster through the wider high speed bends.
The AllSlot seems more stable on corner exit, the NSR more predictable on corner entry.

A "One on One" technical comparison with the AllSlotCar.

There are other long can inline F1 cars out there...
There are also cars that are being produced right now by small manufacturers that would fit into the same class...
However, for the purposes of comparison, I'll stick with the ASC, a car I know well and have raced hard.

Co-incidentally, Rear axle width dimensions are within a millimetre of each other.
68 mm is the max for LSCC and is the max that was in place at NWSCC in 2018 for this class of racing.
Note that the NSR cannot be easily adjusted in factory trim because axle tubes are the factory fit and adjustment would require axle stoppers.

Guide length

The guide length (guide centre pin to the centre of the rear axle) is significantly longer on the AllSlot.
At 94.5mm the NSR is 10 mm shorter on guide length.
Longer guide length gives greater cornering stability making the rear end of the car less likely to oversteer out of control.
In clubs where multiple manufacturer's cars are on track at the same time, guide length may have an impact, however, I suspect that many clubs will invoke an "NSR 86-89 only" class of racing, especially those clubs where open wheel racing has been missing from their calendar for many years.
As a base comparison to a car we probably all know, the 86-89 guide length is 6mm shorter than the NSR Mosler.

Pod and suspension.
Both the AllSlot and the NSR have five mount points for the pod.
The AllSlot pod has all five points ahead of the rear axle.
The NSR has two of the mounts points behind the rear axle, however, for the factory fit car, these are not used.
The ASC has a pod option for a 0.5mm offset.
NSR have never offered offset options however, the factory fit pod on the 86-89 is offset approximately 0.15mm 

Front wheel width
The NSR measures-in at 68mm
The AllSlot factory fit is approximately 65mm. However, whereas the AllSlot can be significantly narrowed (see pic) due to the narrow axle mounts , the NSR cannot. Removing the 2mm axle spacers would only bring the front in to 64mm.

Body
The bodies are generics representing different eras of F1 racing.
The AllSlot represents cars of the time just before the hybrid era.
The NSR is wider and square as per the cars of the late 80s

Digital
The bulkier NSR body does seem to provide just enough room to fit a digital chip.
This is a surprise, NSR don't seem to engage the digital market at all.
Whether accidentally or by design, a chip will fit upright into the side pods with a fly lead led emitter.
There has never been a possibility of fitting a chip into an AllSlot car. No space.

In Summary
There are a lot of possibilities for the NSR 86-89.
- For shelf queen collectors, NSR have a handful of pre painted liveries that will be delivered soon.
- For concors builders, the car can be painted and decaled to represent most cars from the period.
- For home racers, The shorter NSR guide length will make it more suitable for home tracks with R1 curves (compared to the AllSlot)
- For club racers, A new car to replace the AllSlot for which parts are now impossible to find.
- For clubs, there is now the possibility to replace their existing open-wheeled racing class (or to introduce a new class of racing ) with a car produced by a quality Scuderia where cars and parts are readily available and a varied grid is guaranteed.

NSR 86-89 ? Nice one!

Alan Wilkinson
AKA "Nonfractal"

More pics stored in  the following link 
https://ibb.co/album/f4GJtv
Feedback and  comments always welcome, especially if I have made  tehnical or historical error.
[+] 2 members Like Nonfractal's post

Very good review. So far I have resisted buying one of these instead adopting a 'wait and see' attitude and observe how others get on. One of the best car builders I know let me have a god with his after he had prepared it for a wood track. It was very fast and easy to drive. But the next week I saw Andy he said he felt it was very fragile and the had replaced the gears with Slot.Its cos the alloy ones were wearing away fast. He also used rear body mounting holes. 

In the F1 class at Presto Park last week the NSR cars were roundly beaten by a Scaly Williams fitted with an Amato printed chassis....
[+] 1 member Likes Ken Mason's post

Painted and liveried car ready to smash around rhe track. 

[+] 2 members Like Nonfractal's post

(4th-Mar-20, 11:42 AM)Ken Mason Wrote:  ...had replaced the gears with Slot.Its cos the alloy ones were wearing away fast. 
...NSR cars were roundly beaten by a Scaly Williams fitted with an Amato printed chassis.

Ken, 
My early attempts at living with NSR inline contrates yielded the same result. Alloy spray up the inside of the bodywork which continued until the contrate eventually failed. At that point I moved to Slot.IT brass inline crowns.
However, even Slot.IT contrates will eventually fail if the motor spindle is not prevented from grinding away the facing boss. 
It's always good practice to use stoppers to prevent excess lateral movement of the crown.
For the 86/89 NSR have installed axle tubes. If the wheels are installed correctly, they prevent the boss being worn away. 
Out of the factory, mine were set perfectly. 

I don't see the NSRs beating AllSlotCars in their first week either but as they evolve with suspension, chassis options, lightweight components and motor upgrades, I see the writing on the wall for most other marques.
Alan
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post

This shows how the standard chassis bends with the magnet in ...........

The C8516 chip shown in the picture blew and had to be repaired due to the extra force required to overcome the magnet. Removing the magnet relieved the pressure and improved the handling characteristics. Fitting a stiffer chassis, if you can get hold of one, is required should you wish to race the card digitally and with a megnet.