Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scorpius wireless controller

Although wireless controllers are becoming more mainstream on digital set ups they are not widely available for analogue. One exception is the Scorpius controller which was developed for use on that manufacturers' digital system but, with the addition of an extra accessory, is eminently suitable for analogue use as well. I have had one for a couple of years now so I thought I would share my experience of it. I have no knowledge of its digital capabilities so cannot comment on that aspect.

It is not a cheap option, about £150 at current exchange rates plus postage from Australia (no European distributor at the moment).

Do you actually need one?  
If you have a small home track in a fairly confined space then probably not as wired controllers are not really a handicap in that situation.
If you have a large home track with sight line restrictions or race at a club where other competitors can hamper your view from the podium then it is a much more viable proposition. The freedom to run your car from any position around the track can be most useful.

What do you get?
A Scorpius digital controller:    
and a WAM (wireless analogue module):    
The WAM is plugged into your normal driver position and communicates at 2.4 GHz wireless frequency with the controller leaving you free to wander about the track. It does not rely on line of sight so you can drive your car from the back garden if you really want to!

Set up
The controller itself is battery operated and needs a couple of decent AAA ones fitted (Duracell or similar). Poundland cheapies won't do! They are a bit fiddly to replace as you need to dismantle the controller but battery life is generally good and the controller will switch itself off after about 30 seconds inactivity to preserve them.

Before first use you need to set up the controller ID and link it to the WAM. This is easily done in a couple of minutes via the menu button and you are then good to go. It only needs to be done once as the settings are retained in the memory. If other people are also using one you need to make sure they are connected to a different channel or they will clash.There are 24 channels available so this shouldn't be a problem. You can also add your own name to the LCD screen to identify it as yours.

Adjustments
There are two available via knobs on the side of the controller and the settings can be viewed on the LCD screen:
1) Brakes - seamlessly adjustable from 0 - 100%

2) Sensitivity/throttle curve - 10 presets. A USB dongle is also available as an extra and this enables you to alter any of these to your own liking via your PC.

If you use high end electronic wired controllers with a multitude of adjustments available this is probably not suitable for you but, for the average user, they are usually sufficient.

In use
I haven't noticed any real performance difference to a wired controller which is exactly as it should be. It happily adjusts to all my cars and control is smooth and predictable.
Some people may not like just 10 preset curves but I find that they do everything I need.
It is difficult to change the control settings during an actual race as you would need to take your eyes off the car and look at the LCD screen. I never do this as I have enough trouble driving the car without twiddling knobs at the same time so it doesn't bother me.
No maintenance cleaning is required as it utilises a Hall effect sensor rather than a wiper board.
It switches itself off between races so you do have to remember to fire it up again before the green light or you can have an embarrassing non-start!

Conclusions
This is a good product although it doesn't have as many parameter adjustments as wired versions in the same price range. If a wireless controller would be of use to you then it will fit the bill admirably. After sales service is also good in the unlikely event of any problems but, bear in mind that Scorpius is based in Australia so postal delays and costs will be a factor.

It is not my first choice of controller as I normally use my wired Truspeed MTII which fits my hand better and has an extra acceleration control which I find useful but that is just my personal preference and in no way detracts from the quality of the Scorpius one. When we have our monthly GOLD club meetings at Fluff's track with its terrible sight lines then the Scorpius one is indispensable.
[+] 2 members Like CMOTD's post

Well I was going to like your post until the last few lines then changed my mind  Wrench

But as you say very useful when line of sight is restricted .

Steve