Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Decal design

Hi All,

I'd like to prep a loaner Nascar to lend out to people and it occurred to me that it would be quite fun if it was a Tesco Value sponsored car. I'm terrible at graphic design so I was wondering if one of you talented people could have do it for me for a fee?

Here's a rough sketch of what I see the car as being. Please excuse my appalling drawing skills which go along with my rubbish graphic design....and sense of humour!  Bigsmile

This is the Value logo I'd like to base the car on which would go on the bonnet/hood. Might be better to say Racecar so that it is multi purpose for other people. 

And then here is the top and side view. Its basic but I think that works and would look cool.

So if you can help, give me a shout!

Cheers

Gareth
[+] 1 member Likes Gareth's post

Hello Gareth, 
I'm assuming that this is for an HO size car, so please send me side on photo with the width, overall length and height dimensions.  I think that the way to it is to do the blue stripes as a base decal and put the number and bonnet label on afterwards. Assuming a white body colour.

I'll give it a go (no charge).  Allow a few days for me to get time on it. 
Are you ok to print the decal sheets if I send the templates? 
I'll prep the templates oversize and then scale them to suit using Microsoft Word for printing.

Leo

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com

Hi Leo,

That would be incredible thank you so much. 

Here are some photos of the same body to give the dimensions. The Tesco car is white as you say. 

Length of car is 70mm
The hood and the central part of the car is 30mm and it narrows to about 25mm front and rear. 
Door height to the windowsill is 12mm.
Rear deck is 12mm.
Roof is 18mm by 18mm.

I agree on doing the stripes first and then overlapping the box on the bonnet and the roof number. 

I was thinking they would be in red so it's only a 3 colour palette.

Yes I can print them but it's the design work I can't manage. All the artistic skill of a slug! 

Thanks again and looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 

Cheers

Gareth

Yo Gareth,
I thought I had sent you a message via this forum asking you to email me but I cannot find it in my Sent folder. 

Anyway, I have attached the print file to this. Version one, feel free to suggest improvements.  Print on plain paper to try for size.
Have tried to scale to suit but can adjust (if you have used Microsoft Word much you can probably re-size the images and fonts yourself ).

Hopefully the file works OK from here, will send another message with my email address. (The messaging system doesn't seem to allow attachments).

The lettering is very small for the HO bodywork! Have used a bit of artistic licence in attempt to make the lettering more legible.

Leo

Attached Files
.doc Tesco_Value_Decals_Printing_1.doc Size: 178.5 KB  Downloads: 18

Forum Precepts:  Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one.   Don't feed the Troll.    http://www.scuderiaturini.com
[+] 1 member Likes Scuderia_Turini's post

Leo,

It looks incredible. Thank you so much. Will get it printed to test asap. 

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Leo,

Slight delay as it turns out HP haven't auto sent us our new ink cartridges like they are meant to. So much for the internet of things and smart future! Its allegedly on order so I'll chase them up. Or print it at work.
In the meantime I better order some decal paper.

Cheers

Gareth
[+] 1 member Likes Gareth's post

Look what arrived today! And a printer cartridge yesterday as well. So I can give the decals a whirl. Can't wait!

[+] 3 members Like Gareth's post

Hello Gareth,
Hope that vinyl sheet works out ok but to be honest I worry that it may not be flexible enough for the curves of the HO size car.  
You mentioned "decal paper" and that is usually water-slide type stuff which is very thin and will conform to curved body panels happily. 
I use a laser printer so only have that type of sheets or I would have sent you one to try. I think the difference is that the inkjet sheets are more porous so the ink permeates into it where as laser sheets are more suited to the heat and fusion process where the toner sticks to the decal sheet. 
Did you try paper printout to check the sizes? If that worked or you advise adjustments I could send you a printed decal sheet.

Leo