Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
Inaslot sell 'paint defect' Pioneer cars at a considerable discount to normal retail price and they occasionally put some of them up on eBay at a low start price. They currently have some P010 1968 Trans-Am Mustang #22 'Bill Maier' cars available on their website at just £30.
LINK
So why has somebody paid £35.11 for one of these on eBay?
LINK
(This post was last modified: 22nd-Jul-20, 09:13 AM by
CMOTD.)
•
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Two bidders were prepared to pay over the 30 pounds mark, presumably they don't know that Inaslot is the Pioneer outlet.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
Possibly, but if you google the catalogue number and description the Inaslot website page with the paint defect car is second on the list. Are these people addicted to eBay and don't look anywhere else?
(This post was last modified: 23rd-Jul-20, 10:51 AM by
CMOTD.)
•
Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
But you need to factor in the ebayness of being able to get your purchase delivered to a local shop rather than through to your front door...
I love puttering with gears
•
Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
(23rd-Jul-20, 10:50 AM)CMOTD Wrote: Possibly, but if you google the catalogue number and description the Inaslot website page with the paint defect car is second on the list. Are these people addicted to eBay and don't look anywhere else?
I think the simple answer to that is yes.
At one time there was the assumption that eBay would mean getting stuff cheap. But then they changed their trading ethos and tried to be an online shop with new goods rather than auction site for people's cast offs. I reckon a lot of people still think of it in the old way and just assume it will be cheaper.
•
Posts: 221
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 247 in 122 posts
Likes Given: 19
Joined: Jun 2020
I have sometimes looked at the Pioneer with paint defects on Ebay but have never bid as any I was interested in buying got too expensive particularly as I only wanted the bodies. I had no idea that the Inaslot website existed but I know where to go to look for Pioneer in future.
Thanks
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
Whoops! Given the game away now, you will probably buy the ones I want.

By the way, the paint defects are extremely hard to spot, even with a magnifying glass.
•
Posts: 69
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 96 in 46 posts
Likes Given: 5
Joined: Nov 2019
I have seen a Strombecker Porsche worth about $20 go for over $100 because two guys were battling over it. I've always wondered if the winner felt like a winner or a dumbass.
•
Posts: 221
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 247 in 122 posts
Likes Given: 19
Joined: Jun 2020
(23rd-Jul-20, 01:20 PM)CMOTD Wrote: Whoops! Given the game away now, you will probably buy the ones I want. 
By the way, the paint defects are extremely hard to spot, even with a magnifying glass.
About all I would want at the moment is a Mustang Notchback and that isn't urgent.
By the time they have done a few meetings minor paint defects are very unlikely to notice on any of my cars.
If you are worried about the paint then club racing and CSCRA meetings are definitely not the places to race.
•