Posts: 4,505
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,197
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
(28th-Jun-23, 08:42 AM)munter Wrote: For Kevan....A plastic pod with a motor held by two screws?
How do you support the motor other than the screws?
Oh and to continue to question.... spherical bearings? Why?
- Pod - two screws at the back for adjusting float, the front screws aren't used because there's a centre pivot overhanging the front of the pod preventing it lifting but not affecting it's ability to roll
- Spherical bearings - because they're the smallest bearings available in what's a restricted space
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
Kevan, you have answered the sperical bearings question, thank you.....but the way your post described how the motor position/height could be changed(raised or lowered) because the fixing screws and the motor bearing had a slot to move in, in the end of the pod....am I correct in that understanding? and if so ....I asked what else supports the motor? just the screws?
•
Posts: 285
Threads: 53
Likes Received: 402 in 177 posts
Likes Given: 39
Joined: Apr 2019
(28th-Jun-23, 08:11 PM)munter Wrote: Kevan, you have answered the sperical bearings question, thank you.....but the way your post described how the motor position/height could be changed(raised or lowered) because the fixing screws and the motor bearing had a slot to move in, in the end of the pod....am I correct in that understanding? and if so ....I asked what else supports the motor? just the screws?
I think Kevans motor pods are similar to mine,
maybe this photo makes it clear
The motor is fixed height ,the axle can move up or down,the bushings beibg driven by 2 screws .
•
Posts: 4,505
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,197
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
The motor is held in with two M2 screws as per normal, the adjustable height is the axle.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 4,505
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,197
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
(28th-Jun-23, 09:14 PM)AlexisGaitanis Wrote: (28th-Jun-23, 08:11 PM)munter Wrote: Kevan, you have answered the sperical bearings question, thank you.....but the way your post described how the motor position/height could be changed(raised or lowered) because the fixing screws and the motor bearing had a slot to move in, in the end of the pod....am I correct in that understanding? and if so ....I asked what else supports the motor? just the screws?
I think Kevans motor pods are similar to mine,
maybe this photo makes it clear
The motor is fixed height ,the axle can move up or down,the bushings beibg driven by 2 screws .
It was your idea I liked enough to steal
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
Kevan, in post #5 you talk about motor height being adjustable... this is what I am referring to
Posts: 4,505
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,197
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Yeah I did have vertically elongated motor screw holes but never used that idea and ditched the idea in the end.
...easy enough to do with any pod though with a round needle file and is something I have done in the past. Also elongating the screw holes sideways on a SW pod to adjust the gearmesh when I needed to fit a larger pinion (I've done this often actually).
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
Quote:Yeah I did have vertically elongated motor screw holes but never used that idea and ditched the idea in the end.
Good thinking
•
Posts: 195
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 246 in 119 posts
Likes Given: 555
Joined: Dec 2021
Location MN, USA
As Kevan points out, it's easy enough to design an oval hole for the shaft bearing and screw holes to allow gear mesh adjustment.
I still run glue to hold everything in place.... it's the equivalent of soldering the motor in place on a brass/wire car.
•
Posts: 195
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 246 in 119 posts
Likes Given: 555
Joined: Dec 2021
Location MN, USA
And I suppose I should clarify....I run Inland white PLA+ nearly exclusively so once the printer is dialed in its mostly push-to-print until the Bowden or nozzle needs to be replaced.
•