Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

3DP Pods
#31

(28th-Jun-23, 08:42 AM)munter Wrote:  For Kevan....A plastic pod with a motor held by two screws? 
How do you support the motor other than the screws?

Oh and to continue to question.... spherical bearings? Why?
  • Pod - two screws at the back for adjusting float, the front screws aren't used because there's a centre pivot overhanging the front of the pod preventing it lifting but not affecting it's ability to roll 
  • Spherical bearings - because they're the smallest bearings available in what's a restricted space

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post
Quote
#32

Kevan, you have answered the sperical bearings question, thank you.....but the way your post described how the motor position/height could be changed(raised or lowered) because the fixing screws and the motor bearing had a slot to move in, in the end of the pod....am I correct in that understanding? and if so ....I asked what else supports the motor? just the screws?
Quote
#33

(28th-Jun-23, 08:11 PM)munter Wrote:  Kevan, you have answered the sperical bearings question, thank you.....but the way your post described how the motor position/height could be changed(raised or lowered) because the fixing screws and the motor bearing had a slot to move in, in the end of the pod....am I correct in that understanding? and if so ....I asked what else supports the motor? just the screws?
I think Kevans motor pods are similar to mine,
maybe this photo makes it clear
   
The motor is fixed height ,the axle can move up or down,the bushings beibg driven by 2 screws .
Quote
#34

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=24663]

The motor is held in with two M2 screws as per normal, the adjustable height is the axle.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote
#35

(28th-Jun-23, 09:14 PM)AlexisGaitanis Wrote:  
(28th-Jun-23, 08:11 PM)munter Wrote:  Kevan, you have answered the sperical bearings question, thank you.....but the way your post described how the motor position/height could be changed(raised or lowered) because the fixing screws and the motor bearing had a slot to move in, in the end of the pod....am I correct in that understanding? and if so ....I asked what else supports the motor? just the screws?
I think Kevans motor pods are similar to mine,
maybe this photo makes it clear

The motor is fixed height ,the axle can move up or down,the bushings beibg driven by 2 screws .

It was your idea I liked enough to steal  Thumbup

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post
Quote
#36

Kevan, in post #5 you talk about motor height being adjustable... this is what I am referring to
[+] 1 member Likes munter's post
Quote
#37

Yeah I did have vertically elongated motor screw holes but never used that idea and ditched the idea in the end.

...easy enough to do with any pod though with a round needle file and is something I have done in the past.  Also elongating the screw holes sideways on a SW pod to adjust the gearmesh when I needed to fit a larger pinion (I've done this often actually).

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
[+] 1 member Likes Kevan's post
Quote
#38

Quote:Yeah I did have vertically elongated motor screw holes but never used that idea and ditched the idea in the end.
Good thinking
Quote
#39

As Kevan points out, it's easy enough to design an oval hole for the shaft bearing and screw holes to allow gear mesh adjustment.
I still run glue to hold everything in place.... it's the equivalent of soldering the motor in place on a brass/wire car.
Quote
#40

And I suppose I should clarify....I run Inland white PLA+ nearly exclusively so once the printer is dialed in its mostly push-to-print until the Bowden or nozzle needs to be replaced.
Quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)