Posts: 526
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 884 in 356 posts
Likes Given: 2,631
Joined: Jun 2020
Evening,
Does anyone cut their own 3/32 axles for scratchbuiding ?
If so, what exactly do you use?
3/32 stainless steel rod, like K&S, KS 87133 seems about right from searching.
Any thoughts or suggestions.
Thanks,
Pip
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Stainless steel is too soft, grub screws gouge it and it can bend in a bad shunt.
3/32 piano wire is great for front axles but 3/32 drill blanks are best for rear axles.
...if you can get hold of some, 3/32 mold tool ejector pins are the best things I've used, harder than nails, ground true and straight.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 526
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 884 in 356 posts
Likes Given: 2,631
Joined: Jun 2020
Thank you Kevan,
Wasn't sure, so always worth asking!
Will have a look and see what is available.
Thanks,
Pip
•
Posts: 304
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 291 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 51
Joined: Sep 2019
Location Cornwall
Bernie, racing since 1969
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
Qman....that is 2.19 GBP per axle?...... er drill blank?
Kinda pricey isn't it because Slotit axles are only a fraction more for a pair. (see Pendles)
Unless you buy in bulk which a person may well do.
I have said it before...... I like Slotit axles and Champion oilites.....a match made in heaven.
I have and do use drill blanks bought mostly from eBay US....seller was Doug Freshlee if I remember correctly.
What's your source, Kevan ?
(This post was last modified: 30th-Oct-22, 08:18 PM by
munter.)
•
Posts: 526
Threads: 50
Likes Received: 884 in 356 posts
Likes Given: 2,631
Joined: Jun 2020
Hi Qman,
Thanks for the link, I was looking on their site a few minutes ago.....
Is the price of £2.19 for just one 57mm axle?
So to do 20 cars I'd need 40 of these, so it comes down to £1.97 per axle. That's a lot more than Pendles axles from memory....
Pip
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
SlotIt axles are soft and don't fit in NSR wheels or gears, NSR's are hardened and ground.
...I haven't bought drill blanks for 3 years and can't remember where I got them, probably a cheap ebay purchase. Don't buy el cheapo ebay rubbish because you'll find some are slightly bent.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 304
Threads: 17
Likes Received: 368 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
Quote:SlotIt axles are soft and don't fit in NSR wheels or gears, NSR's are hardened and ground.
Never had any issues with softness or hardness when using Slotit axles...at least they are 2.38mm unlike the other brand you mention which is the other 3/32" or in reality 2.37mm.
Never had any bent eBay drill blanks either.....Kevan, can you tell us about the straightness test you use, please?
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,053 in 1,811 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Well I have. Rolling them on a sheet of glass is more than good enough to see if they're not straight.
Like I said avoid el cheapos.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 304
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 291 in 158 posts
Likes Given: 51
Joined: Sep 2019
Location Cornwall
(30th-Oct-22, 08:19 PM)Gpa113 Wrote: Hi Qman,
Thanks for the link, I was looking on their site a few minutes ago.....
Is the price of £2.19 for just one 57mm axle?
So to do 20 cars I'd need 40 of these, so it comes down to £1.97 per axle. That's a lot more than Pendles axles from memory....
Pip
I was just sharing the link that I used.
Seems like the prices have gone up somewhat....
My first order was Nov 2020 when 28 cost me £20.72 (over £20 was free delivery)
then in June 2022 20 cost me £20.60
Now 20 would cost £39.40 which as you say isn't exactly cheap, all I will say is that they are 'proper' 3/32 blanks, & perfectly straight.
Bernie, racing since 1969