Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
4 axis non-planar printing is coming...
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 195
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 246 in 119 posts
Likes Given: 555
Joined: Dec 2021
Location MN, USA
I sure hope so.... it's been promised for several years.
•
Posts: 100
Threads: 4
Likes Received: 111 in 58 posts
Likes Given: 20
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
So have you started building one Kevan?
Looks impressive.
I have a new resin printer - what FDM printer would you recommend for printing chassis.
David
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
(15th-Oct-22, 11:21 PM)GT40Racer Wrote: So have you started building one Kevan?
Looks impressive.
I have a new resin printer - what FDM printer would you recommend for printing chassis.
David
Not yet.
FDM printers for me start at Prusa...it took me two goes at other printers before getting a Prusa and it would have saved me £1000
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
Posts: 789
Threads: 30
Likes Received: 1,382 in 619 posts
Likes Given: 482
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Auburn, WA, USA
I'm also a Prusa fan. It may seem expensive at first, but they are solid machines that just keep going. Do things break down? Sure, from time to time, but they are easy to repair, and with the 1 year warranty, replacement parts are soon shipped. Their support is second to none.
With "entry level" (aka cheap) printers, you'll find that many of the first things you print are things to improve the user experience of the printer. People often find themselves spending more and more money to replace parts with better quality, or to add features the printer lacks. People will often seek recommendations on "what to print" for their printer, before they've even started it up, and there are plenty of great things you can print and upgrade.
For a Prusa machine, there really is nothing to bother printing to improve the machine. The parts are all high quality, and it has all the most important features. With a Prusa, you put it together, and start printing the things you bought it for.
Speaking of putting it together, I highly recommend buying the kit and assembling it yourself. It's a wonderful experience, and by doing so, you effectively learn how it works and how to repair it if something goes wrong. You do ALL the assembly. Literally every nut and bolt. But, the instructions are crystal clear and quite enjoyable to follow if you give yourself leave to take your time and enjoy it.
All that said, if you're up for the tinkering, tuning, tweaking, repairing, etc to keep the machine printing well, the low end machines can make great prints. Just look at the stuff so many people are doing with theirs.
printables.com/@MrFlippant
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
If 3D printing is your hobby by all means get an Ender, a machine you can modify forever.
If 3D printing is going to be a tool to manufacture parts for another hobby like Slot cars then an Ender isn't the best choice.
One thing I'd advise is get a textured sheet, I got one after many months of using the smooth sheet that came with my Prusa, the textured sheet is a game changer.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 100
Threads: 4
Likes Received: 111 in 58 posts
Likes Given: 20
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
Thanks for the advice
I had a Junior Engineering set as a kid so I like the idea of building a kit :)
Chassis printing is my next project and I suspect FDM printers are better for that than resin.
:)
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
(16th-Oct-22, 10:48 AM)GT40Racer Wrote: Chassis printing is my next project and I suspect FDM printers are better for that than resin.
Much better.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•
Posts: 789
Threads: 30
Likes Received: 1,382 in 619 posts
Likes Given: 482
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Auburn, WA, USA
(16th-Oct-22, 10:11 AM)Kevan Wrote: One thing I'd advise is get a textured sheet, I got one after many months of using the smooth sheet that came with my Prusa, the textured sheet is a game changer.
Do you print PLA on it? I've never had much luck with that unless I used glue stick. But, the textured plate is perfect for PETG and ABS, and pretty much a necessity for TPU. I have a satin sheet but have not spent time getting used to it after my initial attempts had poor results.
Sorry... a bit OT now.
printables.com/@MrFlippant
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
(16th-Oct-22, 03:56 PM)MrFlippant Wrote: (16th-Oct-22, 10:11 AM)Kevan Wrote: One thing I'd advise is get a textured sheet, I got one after many months of using the smooth sheet that came with my Prusa, the textured sheet is a game changer.
Do you print PLA on it?
I don't print with PLA so can't tell you but it prints fine on the satin sheet.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...