Posts: 1,963
Threads: 178
Likes Received: 2,498 in 968 posts
Likes Given: 2,431
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Overijse, Belgium
Chappy - how do you do the complex glasswork for the 2D (and others) ?
•
Posts: 221
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 247 in 122 posts
Likes Given: 19
Joined: Jun 2020
(16th-Aug-22, 10:46 PM)JasonB Wrote: For me, the function of a bodyshell is it's form. If it doesn't look fabulous and reasonably accurate, then I don't see the point.
But to be fair, that's nothing to do with 3D printing or any other form of producing a bodyshell, it's just my general preference.
I build a fair few cars for Classic Slot Car Racing Association (CSCRA) events and every event has a concours competition with points which count towards your overall score for the meeting. The car entered in concours must be run in at least one race heat so I need bodies which can be finished to a good standard which is why I have spent so long trying to prepare the 3D printed BRM P154 body that I bought. If I can't eventually get a decent finish I won't build the car.
•
Posts: 195
Threads: 5
Likes Received: 246 in 119 posts
Likes Given: 555
Joined: Dec 2021
Location MN, USA
(17th-Aug-22, 05:58 AM)Anthony B Wrote: Chappy - how do you do the complex glasswork for the 2D (and others) ?
I make vacuform windows using one of those dental machines off Amazon. I use 3DP bucks which are smoothed and sometimes primed before use. The Mirage was done this way.
I suspect the question really is "How do you make the shapes for the form/buck". The best answer is to have a file with separate glass sections, as that makes it easy.
Lacking that, fitting shapes to the body can work, but involves some shaping CAD work. AlexisinGreece has done a nice tutorial for using Blender, which is free and very powerful.
In some situations I have used CAD to cut the cabin off the body and use it as a "negative" buck. This works, but requires upsizing and more trimming for the glass to fit.
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
(16th-Aug-22, 10:46 PM)JasonB Wrote: For me, the function of a bodyshell is it's form. If it doesn't look fabulous and reasonably accurate, then I don't see the point.
But to be fair, that's nothing to do with 3D printing or any other form of producing a bodyshell, it's just my general preference.
It's absolutely amazing what some people can do to a 3D printed bodyshell, that takes time, effort and skill...the first two I have, the skill I don't have so do the best I can and I'm happy with that. Others have used the exact same bodyshell as myself and turned it into a show stopper, that's what some people focus on, the lap time ability of that car being irrelevant.
Life is like a box of Slot cars...
•