Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Whats on your bench ...

I've just utilised these two old chicane pieces of classic and adapted them to fit my sport track.
My wife brought back from the charity shop loads of track but had no idea it was old stuff and I think it's a waste to just chuck it so I'm going to try and use bits on my large track when I build it.
I trimmed the attachments off that are in the way to marry up to the sport track, the rails were black so gave them a really good clean and put it on my little test track and it works perfect.
   
   
   
   
[+] 3 members Like Tibbs's post
Quote

A Power Slot Hummer 'Station Wagon' as bought from 'The Market Place' on this forum back in April 2021. 

An oddity I'd fancied for some time  - but not at the new or 'collector' prices I'd been seeing elsewhere, this was a real bargain. Not the version I'd have chosen myself but needs must - and at the price, something I wasn't afraid to cut up, as I could see a potential Crew Cab conversion coming up. Thumbup Surely Power Slot would maximise use of the interior moulding for their other versions?

   

It wasn't long before the station wagon roof, rear windows and back doors had been carefully prised off as one unit, to reveal the hoped for pick-up bed detail. It was nerve wracking but worth it, as already the proportions were beginning to look better. Fortunately the rear glass was a separate moulding from that for the cab portion.

   

All the detail parts were bagged up for later re-use: mirrors, wipers, turn signals, front and rear lights, driver and navigator and the one piece grill and hood panel. The back doors and side windows were then removed using a razor saw, leaving a long flat roof panel ready to cut to suit the crew cab area.

   

The plan was for the rear doors to become the back wall of the crew cab, giving good rear vision for the rally crew, unlike Power Slot's own rear wall, which research showed to be a solid, windowless panel. Despite appearances the Hummer roof/body does have a slight taper front to rear, as a test fit showed that rear door unit to be a little taller and wider than the shorter crew cab's rear. A little notching got it to drop into place, the height being a bridge to cross later.

   

'Later' turned out to be mid-June 2022! With a deadline for the '2022 Extreme Slotting' proxy event no longer on the horizon but rapidly approaching, work started again in earnest. All the parts were gathered together and the thinking cap went on. The back panel was cut to suit so it could become the new back wall, with the bottom edge resting on the interior platform, dividing the pick-up bed from the crew's cab. The lower part was nearly binned but on second thoughts went into the Hummer 'bits bag' just in case. 

   

   

Time to cut the roof to length, then deal with the rear window. The central bar didn't look right, nor did the door shut lines - but the latter made ideal score lines, allowing me to open up a new rear window that matched the height of the glazed 'quarterlights'. 

   

That big rear window just didn't look right though. It needed a bottom glazing bar to match those sidelights. Not having thrown anything away, a 'station wagon' side window provided a piece of plastic just the right length, although it took quite a bit of work to remove that chunky internal brace bar. 

   

The original plan had been to do a complete repaint along the lines of Power Slot's own much more colourful Crew Cab or full Rally Station Wagon versions but I simply ran out of time. As I'd been careful how I cut - and re-purposed 'waste' material from the conversion to complete the transformation there was no need for paint at this point. The only non-original part of the body conversion was the glazing for that big rear window. The lower portion of the rear doors became the tailgate, with the stump of the vertical rear window bar removed by filing it down level with the base of the former windows. I could have left the bed without a tailgate a la Power Slot's version - but this was MY version of a Crew Cab. 

   

The rear view mirrors are the rubber originals and are VERY secure. The plastic wipers were very loose originally. A drop of GS Hypo keeps them in place now. In fact the entire re-assembly (apart from the tailgate) was done using GS Hypo so I could, in theory, dismantle and paint it when it comes back from its tour of duty in the 2022 Extreme Slotting Proxy Rally Raid, where I expect it to finish last  Bigsmile

There was no time for track testing or set-up.

The one concession to performance was to replace the 'plastic?' no-grip tyres and multi-piece plastic wheels with Mitoos items - which added 60% to the budget build cost!
(Power Slot's own wheels were of multi-piece construction but had also broken up into further smaller pieces that I'd diligently rebuilt when I first bought the car  Bigsmile )

   

I'm pleased with how it looks and doubt whether I'll bother painting it, although it could get some detail paint added at some stage. We'll see.
[+] 6 members Like Top Down's post
Quote

Some progress on the Saab, Eric Karlson,Rally Acropolis winner,1961(the chrome stripes have to be redone)
   
a Bizzarini
   
A couple of Jags
   
and an Autobianchi Jagermeister (to be)
   
[+] 6 members Like AlexisGaitanis's post
Quote

Superb Alexis!! Thumbup Thumbup
Quote

I am busy frutling around with this:  I bought the body at Roncole for 5 Euros. Being Lexan, it had been painted with normal humbrol type paints, so had chipped badly. As I had some Tamiya PS red spray, I took the chance and just over sprayed the underneath of the body. Worked ok. Will never be a concourse type body as the paint colour matching is very slightly off , but it will be something to play with something to play with. I had an original off centre Revell 60'sschassis that I have married it to.

I dont have the correct decals and am debating whether to order some - probably will and also still have to replace braids etc etc. Oh and a new drivers head - that one is original 60's and it shows Bigsmile 


       

       
[+] 5 members Like Anthony B's post
Quote

New cars for a Proxy Drag Race in the US in fall.....

Nico

   
   
   
   
[+] 3 members Like nkarres's post
Quote

As the heat still means I can't work outside and August means that no French electricians are to be seen, I thought I'd get a few slot related things done. Two more Pittmans arrived from Phil so I'm gathering all I have together and putting them in small GT cars. It'll be good have a number with similar performance.

The surprising thing is how little difference the reduction in width has made (Thunderslot please note  Cool) The Orange indicar had to come in by over a centimetre but probably goes better now. Doesn't slide so much and grips better. Quite a few of the open wheelers I did for Bordo used Pittmans and, as I don't really do Formula cars, it means I have a few available for 'proper' cars.

   

Having the track out in the garage is doing it no favours at all. What with the dust and the temperature changes, the grip seems to disappear very quickly. Put another coat of water based yacht varnish on yesterday and it's great again. Getting a bit shiny though. Not sure what surface I will choose if I get round to a decent indoor track in due course.
[+] 5 members Like Gordon Steadman's post
Quote

Nice to see you're doing a little Maserati ,the one you have me is still performing well 

Steve
Quote

Good to see you back Gordon Wavegreen Wavegreen
Quote

I find that this non-collector has a problem.

I rather like the Pittman 196B and it seems that they have been breeding behind my back!
       
[+] 3 members Like Gordon Steadman's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)