Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Whats on your bench ...

My sandbag of choice is fishermen's tungsten putty.
Just like blue tak but denser. 
Don't get any fluid on it though (oil or zippo fuel) because the putty will turn to slime.
AlanW.
Quote

       

97% complete Area71 Singer 911.  It’s a racing car so the body is not as smooth as most I’ve seen.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
[+] 7 members Like Brumos RSR's post
Quote

Straight away I love that chassis especially as it's symmetrical.

I think A71 use a sintered laser technology so the finish will be 'lumpy', it doesn't bother me at all but it bothers some folk.

Life is like a box of Slot cars... Cool Drinkingcheers
Quote

[attachment=23721 Wrote:dazee pid='25756' dateline='1652577161']

Working on my first 1/24 car to use at the club track.  Trying to get the stance right before going to paint.  With the body style it may not be competitive, but should be fun to race.  Is fitted on a Plafit chassis and the club is a reseller for the parts.  So should have some tuning potential and benefit from the experience of the club owner in getting it right.  This is based on the KenMary 4DR Skyline works car.


All set for some testing this weekend.  Should be good for a bit of fun.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   

My DIY projects and failures at  https://dazee-projects.blogspot.com/ 
Various projects and videos at https://www.youtube.com/@DaleChan-nel
[+] 4 members Like dazee's post
Quote

...the remnants of my Molesey GT car that was brutally exposed as not being fit for purpose last night! A series of 'on the hoof' adjustments, and the borrowing of bits from other proven runners meant that this was how the car returned to my bench, having left it in one piece!

   

Nothing that some different parts and some acknowledgement that I really ought to start actioning some of the tuning advice I am being given won't sort out...

I love puttering with gears
Quote

Not so much 'on the bench' as off the bench now but I did say elsewhere I was going to attempt to tone down this rather lairy Gaydon BRM TTS purchase.

   

Not as easy as I thought, as removing the one piece folded sheet plastic interior without damaging it was a devil of a job. However, once out it was easily stripped back to its individual components. The dash detail was masked off and the rest of the interior sprayed a matt grey. The driver's helmet was brush painted a gloss blue to match the NSU decals on the body and the 'door cards' (interior body sides) were treated to a black vinyl 'wrap', or sticky backed plastic as it used to be known.  Bigsmile

Given the struggle to get the interior out I was dreading trying to get the reassembled unit back in but it turned out to be a doddle.  Thumbup

The chassis was given some mild tweaking - evening up the the wheels side to side and pushing them out to the maximum track - then the whole thing was put back together.

The final step was toning down that black and pink chequered roof. Ebay supplied the 5mm black and white sheet vinyl and after much prevarication I ended up making a paper template, cutting the vinyl slightly oversized then giving it a final trim with scissors once it was stuck firmly in place.

I'm biased of course but I much prefer the toned down version, although I may keep my eyes open for a waterslide decal to redo the roof sometime. 

   
[+] 4 members Like Top Down's post
Quote

I prefer your version as well -  Nice job!!
[+] 1 member Likes Anthony B's post
Quote

      

BEFORE: 
As bought and lightly used. I hadn't noticed in the seller's pic' (above) that it had a vacformed interior! On dismantling it ready for a clean and polish it seemed to be a factory original installation.

A quick check with the seller and various Googled pic's confirmed it was, being one of MG Vanquish's 'racing' releases, which I hadn't been aware of until now. Makes me wonder if an earlier Chaparral I'd bought as en 'ex-racer' - and it really had been! - was also from the 'racing' line-up, although the interior and (lack of) engine detail was much cruder.   

I can't say I'm that keen on vac-formed interiors on open cars such as this so, although it may be sacriligeous, it had to go.

I turned to my two 'donor' McLarens, which contributed various parts to make a complete interior tub with full radiator, roll bar and engine detail, this being much the same process that ex-racer Chaparral underwent.
 
AFTER: 
   

Much as the with the pink BRM TTS make-over, I much prefer the car looking like this.  Thumbup 

P.S: The two donors have become one complete car, apart from one missing air intake tube - and a bare broken body with a rolling 'Frankenstein' chassis, made up of all non-stock parts and mismatched wheels. You never know though. They might come in handy some day, even though THIS was my last MG Vanquish purchase.  Bigsmile
[+] 7 members Like Top Down's post
Quote

Some little corrections still due, but on my bench at the moment.........
   
   
   

Nico
[+] 4 members Like nkarres's post
Quote

Looks neat from every angle!

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BAracer's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 10 Guest(s)