Posts: 456
Threads: 35
Likes Received: 202 in 130 posts
Likes Given: 534
Joined: Apr 2019
UHU makes a special "plastic glue" that is part epoxy resin. It is a nice compromise of rigidity and flexibility.
There are also 2-part epoxy resins that can be almost bullet-proof.
Both take a long time to dry though...
I have not tried the German (read: European) version of "shoe goo" yet but in the US I used this a lot when things has to stay flexible: (spoilers), mirrors...
I only user super glue when I have to (tires) as I don't like how it smokes plastic (yes I know baking powder keeps that from happening) and as I am all thumbs I rarely get things set right the first time and the extra pressure of having to get things done quickly nearly gives me a heart attack... :-)
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Other versions of shoe goo aren't as good but smell the same.
•
Posts: 598
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 954
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
I know I started this thread and have been a tad quiet in replies, however I have been reading every single post with enthusiasm to find a solution and boy have there been some, thank you to all that have offered up ideas and possible solutions for us all.
I have found Selleys PlastiFix Glue + Primer (covers below) just applied it and it did stick instantly, just letting it sit to dry before slight sanding as I applied a little too big a drop leaving a small bulge :(

Front

Back
Posts: 539
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 829 in 380 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Jun 2019
Wickes superglue.
Cheap & very effective.
Can be applied via the nozzle or via a toothpick dipped into the bottle.
Beware all superglues because they can mist your crystal parts as the glue dries.
AlanW
•
Posts: 1,229
Threads: 141
Likes Received: 1,415 in 629 posts
Likes Given: 742
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Chesterfield, UK
GS Hypo cement was recommended to me. Dries crystal clear, seems to be self-levelling to a degree and doesn't 'fume' or harm plastics. It's not a solvent but a glue.
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
I went to the local model railway exhibition last weekend and a guy was demonstrating/selling this stuff
Powerbond 806. I am always a little wary of these demonstration things as they can be easily rigged but the glue did seem to be quite remarkable. It is a superglue that doesn't smoke clear plastic/glass and had really good fast adhesion on virtually anything. He was selling 2 x 20gm bottles plus 3 bottles of Powerfix 806 filler/bonding powder plus a bottle of glue remover for a tenner so I thought it was worth a punt. Tried it out today and, without doubt, it is the best superglue I have ever used. It stuck a couple of things I had really been struggling with and it was virtually impossible to glue my fingers together which was a pleasant change. If you get some on your hands just rub it in a circular motion and it becomes harmless. Well worth a look. You can buy online but they go to a lot of model railway exhibitions where you can see it demonstrated and get some at a bargain price.
(This post was last modified: 29th-Jul-24, 11:29 AM by
CMOTD.)
Posts: 815
Threads: 26
Likes Received: 433 in 243 posts
Likes Given: 154
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Norwich England
Perhaps I can borrow some to stick my spectators down for when you next come round
Steve
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
I highly recommend "Zap-A-Gap" its a very forgiving cyanoacrylate glue and provides a very robust bond. I believe that Radio Control types love it.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
•