Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Auslot 2021 Touring Car Proxy Event: Potential Entry
#11

Right, lets get down to the nitty gritty Brumos RSR...

What are your tyres of choice for this Proxy?

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#12

(27th-Mar-21, 12:53 PM)BARacer Wrote:  Right, lets get down to the nitty gritty Brumos RSR...

What are your tyres of choice for this Proxy?

The 1st time I entered, I ran Paul Gage tires as my personal preference is never to use Supertires.   This year, I ran NSR Supergrips.  The car came on strong at the end not sure if it was tires or motor breaking in.  The tracks Down Under are more abrasive than the routed tracks in North America.  My thought was I would have the grip of a Ultra due to the track surface and it proved true.  I will be adding more weight and resending the Clio again hopefully with the same tire for one more season before a new set is needed.
[+] 1 member Likes Brumos RSR's post
Quote
#13

So you didn't have to go with too hard a rubber compound then...that's useful to know.

Thanks for the information.

I love puttering with gears
Quote
#14

For me, option 1 will be NSR red.
I tested Reds on wood tracks at Milton Keynes (on an NSRc7r)  and they worked really well.
I don't see anything in the 2020 rules prohibiting red tyres. 
However, I will disclose a full spec to the host prior to shipping and change the tyres if the reds trigger objections.

I had NSR tyres on the Megane for the winter rally and the same pair are still on there for the upcoming Brighton to John o'groats.

I see a lot of urethane on  the aussie proxy.
I'm guessing that the heavier cars work their tyres hard so NSRs may not last the distance for them.
Urethane dust is everywhere on the top5 2020 cars when they were opened for review.

My big unknowns are: 

The guide. 
The shallow cut down scaleauto blade (cut for rallying on classis track) won't do the job. 
Likely I will go for a deep wood NSR screw  guide
Suspension guide is probably unnecessary for the aussie proxy.
Figuring out the guide spacers is a challenge without seeing the tracks. 
It seems like every wood track has a different slot recess due to different router bits and different rail braid. 

Motor:
i'll probably stick with my old scalauto sc25b sprinter motor. Inside the rpm spec but loads of grunt. 

Lights:
Lights (crystalwork)  are mandatory but they do not have to illuminate.
I may pull the ZMachine light kit out or maybe buy a new Megane body for the aussie proxy. 

Alan W
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post
Quote
#15

I was 5th in the series on NSR tires and the lightest car in the field and it app reads the tires are goood for another season. I will add weight but not too much for next season. I finished 8th in my rookie season of this proxy on Paul Gage urethane tires.  Lesson learned, do not true them down too much as the tracks surface is extremely abrasive and will wear out tires well before the proxy is over. Additionally, if running rubber too soft a tire will need to be replaced every 3-4 rounds, this was the case with the other Clio in the field. The red or grey tire if allowed may provide too much grip but may have better wear characteristics as my grey tires lasted forever magnet racing. Results will definitely vary with the car if it is built on the edge of quick or fast. A great driver will do very well with the car an average driver or an on off style driver may struggle creating a mixed bag of results.  3/5 cars in the videos are locals who race these tracks monthly so they are probably the best for reference.

I used a Thunderslot guide standard size which was better than the factory guide but not as deep as a wood guide. Hope this helps.
[+] 2 members Like Brumos RSR's post
Quote
#16

After much thought this morning (maybe even as much as an hour) decided that a new Megane body was the way to go.
- no need to remove the light set from the body that did the winter rally.
- easier to make the car a bit tidier, maybe even "concours tidy" 
- wing will still be in place 
- no need to take out the co-pilot.
- an opportunity to do a  nice job of the interior.

MRE . 
Same car in stock in the same livery. RESULT  Bigsmile
Discount on the web site with slotforum . DOUBLE RESULT Rofl
[+] 1 member Likes Nonfractal's post
Quote
#17

I am still trying to decide between urethanes or Slot.it G25s. 

If NSR Supergrips last the series, then I'm thinking the G25s will probably as well. But four of the top five cars were on urethanes...so will there be a grip bonus without a wear issue going down this road?

Silly question, do urethanes come in different wear rates?

I love puttering with gears
[+] 1 member Likes BAracer's post
Quote
#18

(28th-Mar-21, 03:03 PM)BARacer Wrote:  Silly question, do urethanes come in different wear rates?

My experience of urethanes ( at LSC Wood green) indicates that the wear rate is very very small.
I've never worn out a set of ortmanns.
[+] 2 members Like Nonfractal's post
Quote
#19

(28th-Mar-21, 03:03 PM)BARacer Wrote:  Silly question, do urethanes come in different wear rates?

Paul Gage urethanes do come in various shore ratings (which will affect wear) .........they are the only one (I believe) to offer various compounds within a specific tyre size.

The ratings within the the major suppliers of urethanes ....Yellowdog, Paul Gage, Ortmann, Dart, KK etc. are also somewhat different, with each having slightly different grip/wear characteristics. 

Other than the Paul Gage "XPG",.......you should be completely fine regarding wear rates for any urethanes, for most all proxies.

Cheers
Chris Walker
[+] 1 member Likes chrisguyw's post
Quote
#20

(28th-Mar-21, 02:46 PM)Nonfractal Wrote:  MRE . 
Same car in stock in the same livery. RESULT  Bigsmile
Discount on the web site with slotforum . DOUBLE RESULT Rofl

Slotracer.online. discount on the MRE website with SLOTRACER.ONLINE !
[+] 2 members Like Nonfractal's post
Quote


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)