Posts: 598
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 954
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
Repairing Bodies, Glues (Super Glue, Araldite, Epoxy etc.)
Well as the thread topic suggests, what glues do you use and recommend for repairing of car bodies, such as gluing the side mirrors, F1 air wings, and other plastic parts that break when the car leaves the slot and smacks the floor
I ask as I have tried now on two occasions using Super Glue with no effect at all.
I couldn't work out where to place this thread, thought Tips & Tuning could be the better Thread for this, if not please relocate it.
Cheers
Johnno
•
Posts: 86
Threads: 2
Likes Received: 31 in 24 posts
Likes Given: 348
Joined: Apr 2019
In general, I have found Super Glue to be quite effective.
•
Posts: 1,246
Threads: 84
Likes Received: 1,035 in 519 posts
Likes Given: 244
Joined: Apr 2019
Location France
Superglue is not at its best with plastics. Gel is probably best with small parts if you must use it but try damping the plastic first so it grabs properly.
I use 10 minute epoxy for most smooth parts.
Posts: 598
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 954
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for that, as I thought apoxy/araldite would be the best. I see Supercheap Auto has an 8ml available so will pop down there and grab that as well as some rattle paint 4 for $10 until this Sunday.
•
Posts: 77
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 65 in 36 posts
Likes Given: 30
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Carmarthenshire
2 part epoxy is my glue of choice - great for chassis and motors as well as small body parts. I do use superglue if the repair is between heats but it gives mixed results.
For loose spoilers when you do actually want them to come off in a crash - I use blu tack shoved into the holes. Blu tack is also useful pushed in on top of body screws to stop them falling out if you have backed them off a bit too much.
Mind you I race digital so I usually don’t bother replacing wing mirrors - they will only be off again in a heat or two!!!
[i]Slot cars are not life and death. They are so much more than that[/i]
(This post was last modified: 16th-May-19, 07:07 AM by
Mr Modifier.)
•
Posts: 598
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 447 in 272 posts
Likes Given: 954
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Australia
I get that they keep breaking on de-slots but when it is half the front wing missing (got caught on the fence) it looks crap.
I think I will have to invest in a 3D printer also this year. Damn this hobby is addictive and expensive, but fun.
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
Super glue + bicarb powder is a great filler/fixer and sets HARD!
UV glue on top of that as a shiny smooth finish.
Gorilla glue clear is great and crystal clear.
The one tube of stuff I can't be without though is ShoeGoo.
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
I've tried epoxy in the past but it doesn't bind to plastic, try bending a piece of plastic you've repaired with epoxy... it'll break away from the epoxy.
•
Posts: 1,478
Threads: 223
Likes Received: 2,275 in 824 posts
Likes Given: 1,088
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Norfolk, England
I have always felt that superglue was somewhat overrated, especially cheapo Poundland stuff. It is very good at sticking your fingers together but has severe limitations with plastics.
The only one I have had any real success with is Loctite All Plastics Superglue
LINK which is a two part jobbie with an activator. In any case I long ago abandoned attempts to stick mirrors back on again, they always fall off in the next crash.
•
Posts: 4,502
Threads: 147
Likes Received: 3,052 in 1,810 posts
Likes Given: 4,195
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Isle of Man
It's not two part it's just got activator with it which works for any super glue.
Mitre Bond Joiners Mate is good stuff ?
•