Posts: 2,512
Threads: 117
Likes Received: 2,852 in 1,456 posts
Likes Given: 7,554
Joined: Jan 2020
Location Eastbourne UK
The first car I went over 100mph in was a Tiger.
Ken... what's a TV? Is that, like, a big phone?
I love puttering with gears
(This post was last modified: 10th-Oct-20, 08:56 AM by
BAracer.)
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
There's an Aurora 1/32 Tiger on EBay right now for $125 USD... Hens teeth. Chicken lips. Fish feathers. Snakes armpits. Goose gills. All pretty much on the same level of rarity.
(This post was last modified: 10th-Oct-20, 10:21 AM by
KensRedZed.)
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Darn. Only unlimited likes left, and it's 6:51 am in the morning.
What will I do with the rest of my day?
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Yo Jason,
Somehow I missed this topic - one of the cars on my 1:32 wish list. Great to see it, I don't recall seeing a similar slot-car.
My automobile roots are in Rootes and one book in my library ( 'Rootes Maestros' ) has a good chapter on the development of Tigers for motorsport. As is well known, they fell foul of the Chrysler take-over as no Chrysler family engine would fit and they didn't want to continue with the Ford engine.
Point Of Order: the Tiger was sold as Sunbeam Tiger, no reference to Alpine origins.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
Posts: 18
Threads: 2
Likes Received: 11 in 6 posts
Likes Given: 4
Joined: Apr 2020
As a one-time Sunbeam Talbot owner, I viewed this version of the Alpine as a Hillman Minx with tail fins.
EM
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
Sunbeam Alpine = 4-cylinder - series III, IV and V. 1963 to 1968 (1.6L or 1.7L)
Sunbeam Tiger = V-8. 1964 to 1967 (260 cid or 4.3L at first. 289 cid or 4.7L in later models) Partially designed with the help of Carrol Shelby
The Alpine is almost the same car. But fitted with a small block Ford V8.
The small block Ford was the flattest V8 on the planet at that time. That's why it could fit into an empty Sunbeam Alpine shell. The birth of a Tiger.
It's a really nice build, Jason.
Posts: 221
Threads: 7
Likes Received: 247 in 122 posts
Likes Given: 19
Joined: Jun 2020
Looks a nice build to me.
I used to convince myself that everyone else builds far better cars than me but I eventually realised that some of the things that went a bit wrong actually don't show very much. It is just that I am more aware of them because I built the model and, to me, they stick out like a sore thumb but others don't notice.
When I attached the rear body panel to the 1/24 Galaxie that I posted a while ago a tiny bit of glue left a small mark in the paint on the rear edge of the boot lid. I was pretty unhappy about it at first but it isn't noticeable unless you know it is there and look for it.
All my cars get raced anyway so they soon start to look a bit secondhand.
Posts: 1,747
Threads: 259
Likes Received: 1,596 in 812 posts
Likes Given: 1,869
Joined: Apr 2019
Location Edinburgh, Scotland
Yo Jason,
Just re-visiting this great car. The fog-light on the rear panel is the reversing light - very handy for night stages. These became de rigeur for any 'souped up' Imp or Mini. Possibly a Norman Garrad or Marcus Chambers innovation but probably one or the other.
Leo
Forum Precepts: Don't hijack or divert topics - create a new one. Don't feed the Troll. http://www.scuderiaturini.com
Posts: 2,054
Threads: 131
Likes Received: 3,410 in 1,389 posts
Likes Given: 3,125
Joined: Sep 2020
Location A small igloo in Canada
You are bang on Autoavia. I remember finishing one of my first cars and taking pics. Running to the PC to load and post. Then stood back after looking at the photos and said "Who the heck built and painted this piece of rubbish?". The paint was smooth to the naked eye, but had slight orange peel under a magnifying glass.
At that point I realized that "super-macro" is a great tool for seeing your own mistakes. But not so great if you prefer not to share your mistakes with the rest of planet.
I still use super-macro to critique my own builds. I just don't share all of them.
Posts: 2,355
Threads: 106
Likes Received: 2,443 in 1,147 posts
Likes Given: 7,771
Joined: Mar 2019
Location Farlington, North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks to everyone for the interesting information and points of view.
•